General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

95 Polaris 425 Magnum Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Polaris 425 Magnum Engine Knock

So I have a 95 Polaris magnum, it runs great and I've been loving it. But when the machine is at idle you can hear the engine knocking, but when you Rev it up the knocking goes away. It is running a little on the rich side, you pull the spark plug and it's wet. Is this something to worry about cause I don't want to get stuck on any roads.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

More than likely you're hearing the spider banging again the clutch towers in the drive clutch. Sound can radiate and may sound like it's from the engine. One way to tell is to pull the clutch cover and wiggle the clutch back and forth. If there is a lot of play,guide buttons worn down,this can make the noise. If the clutch towers are heavily groved rebuilding one may not help.Also you can pull the clutch,crank the engine to verify if this is the cause of the noise.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK I will try taking a look at it, also how hard is it to rebuild. Would it be worth buying all the parts or buying a used one off ebay?

Old 06-23-2017, 02:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look at the guide towers where the 6 guide buttons ride. If the towers have deep grooving from wear rebuilding them may not always help. Plus you have a plain bearing where the shaft rides that's usually worn out also.Polaris ATV Parts 1995 W958144 MAGNUM 4X4 DRIVE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY Diagram They have after market clutches now that are cheaper than you can rebuild one.All non ebs clutches will fit all models. Polaris Sportsman 500 Primary Drive Clutch 1996-2013 Complete Kit | eBay

Old 06-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow that's a good deal, but how good do they stack up against a Polaris clutch?

Old 06-23-2017, 05:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by polaris425magnum
Wow that's a good deal, but how good do they stack up against a Polaris clutch?
Good question. Not too many reports on these other than they seem to work ok from several people.Non ebs clutches are rather simple in design but I did notice on the guide button surface area that the buttons are way larger than the oem buttons and when they wear out(hopefully at least after a few years worth of time on them) where do you get replacement buttons? On the other hand,the clutch may outlive the rest of the atv.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I got a chance to look at it, and I found out the problem it wasn't anything hitting the towers. It was the bolts holding the weights in we're slapping against the clutch housing, so I put different ones in that had less wear and they still move side to side. Is it ok for it to run like this?

Old 06-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by polaris425magnum
So I got a chance to look at it, and I found out the problem it wasn't anything hitting the towers. It was the bolts holding the weights in we're slapping against the clutch housing, so I put different ones in that had less wear and they still move side to side. Is it ok for it to run like this?
What usually causes the weights to slap is the main bushing is worn out allowing the center of the clutch to wobble. This along with worn guide buttons are the main wear points not the weights themselves. Either rebuild the clutch or get the cheap after market one.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

So while i was looking at clutches I've seen a aftermarket cdi box that claims to up the rpm and modify the ignition curve but will this hurt my atv, and does its claims actually happen? For 20-50$ if they work you can't go wrong.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just stick with what you have. The Magnum wasn't designed as a fire breathing power house but a usually dependable utility atv.Just get the clutch problem sorted out and enjoy it for what it is.