General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Electric start bypass

Old 07-06-2017, 07:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scootergptx
I'd spend the 10 bucks. Down the road you may want to sell these. Would you buy an atv that the ignition has been hotwired?

Also, you could be out on a public trail somewhere and might just have a courtesy check from either law enforcement or game warden. That is going to look very suspicious to them.
I've had it for 14 years, I won't be selling it. Trying to fix it today for a weekend ride I've had planned for 6 months! As for the looking suspicious, we are required to carry registration in my state so that's not an issue.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yesterday afternoon my fourwheeler blew up underneath me don't know if it related to the bypass I did I'm pretty sure the motor got so hot it melted the gas tank but be careful doing any thing with the wiring luckily I wasn't riding alone

This is what it looked like sorry it's the only picture i took

This is all thats left, hopefully my homeowners insurance can help.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry to hear about that.. I bet the problem happened with the oil cooler hoses.Early 2001 models along with the 2000 models had an oil line update. They were changed to screw on fittings at the oil filter area. But that didn't stop a few from still having problems blowing off lines or leaking at the clamps at the cooler itself right onto the exhaust pipe. From a couple of people I talked to they said it was pretty quick when this happened and nothing they could do but watch. I've seen the results of this when they were brought in and like yours it wasn't pretty.

Attached Thumbnails Electric start bypass-e559fec116b3ff8a03ec8467ebbd5e29ca4fe162.png  
Old 07-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sorry to hear about that.. I bet the problem happened with the oil cooler hoses.Early 2001 models along with the 2000 models had an oil line update. They were changed to screw on fittings at the oil filter area. But that didn't stop a few from still having problems blowing off lines or leaking at the clamps at the cooler itself right onto the exhaust pipe. From a couple of people I talked to they said it was pretty quick when this happened and nothing they could do but watch. I've seen the results of this when they were brought in and like yours it wasn't pretty.
I bit the bullet and bought another switch from the dealer. It cranks over but won't fire. Let the tracing begin I guess...

Old 07-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Must've been
There was alot of smoke before Ithe caught fire there was the sort of explosion and I got sprayed with some oil then it caught fire

Old 07-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabriell1229
Must've been
There was alot of smoke before Ithe caught fire there was the sort of explosion and I got sprayed with some oil then it caught fire
Sounds like a hose blew from the oil cooler. The first 2000 and early 2001 models had barbed fittings at the oil filter block and held on with spring clamps like the ones on the oil cooler itself. I'd check first if you have the new plumbing style fittings and not barbs. I installed a bunch of updated oil line kits with the threaded inserts and compression fittings,but in the kits they still sent spring clamps for the oil cooler hoses. These imo should have been regular hose clamps that could have been tightened better. Again I'm sorry to hear about this happening.