General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

PW 50 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PW 50 won't start

I have a pw50 that won't start, good fire, getting fuel, good compression. I have another one,an swapped out coil,an carb, my other one runs like swiss watch,so I know both coil an carb are good. I tried to unplug white plug behind number plate,an I get nothing,clean out muffler, done just about all I can think of,an nothing. It has as much or more compression than the one I have running.Any ideas on what to check next?

Old 07-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

So you swapped out coil. Do you have good spark at the plug? Pull it out and see if it is firing. What I do is work my way back. Pull plug and hook it up to plug wire toutch to the jug and kick. Use 2 ppl and a good set of insulated gloves or plyers to hold plug and boot. If no spark find a small bolt to stick in boot where plug goes and do the same thing. If it sparks its the plug if not its coil or behind coil. But seeing as how you swapped out with a good coil it has to be behind it. Check kill switch. The switch if I'm not mistaken has to maintain ground to run. Not ground to kill. If that don't work, check wire from cdi to coil see if you get spark off the frame. If nothing cleen the pickup in the stator housing. Get the names mixed up stator magnito whatever.

as for fuel are you getting fuel in the cylinder. Check the plug see if its wet. If not pull carb and boot off and inspect the reeds. If there good and moove, re assemble carb and put some gas in like a windex botle and spray just 1 spray into the carb if it pops its probly somthing simple. Petcock on tank or a filter restricting fuel. Hope this helps. Fyi bad gas will cause issues to. Always try to run 91 non ethanol. And use a fresh batch to troubleshoot.

check all grounds and wires for corrosion. I had a pw80 it had a faulty kill switch did the same thing. But trouble shoot everything before you go buy parts.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Justinblasier
So you swapped out coil. Do you have good spark at the plug? Pull it out and see if it is firing. What I do is work my way back. Pull plug and hook it up to plug wire toutch to the jug and kick. Use 2 ppl and a good set of insulated gloves or plyers to hold plug and boot. If no spark find a small bolt to stick in boot where plug goes and do the same thing. If it sparks its the plug if not its coil or behind coil. But seeing as how you swapped out with a good coil it has to be behind it. Check kill switch. The switch if I'm not mistaken has to maintain ground to run. Not ground to kill. If that don't work, check wire from cdi to coil see if you get spark off the frame. If nothing cleen the pickup in the stator housing. Get the names mixed up stator magnito whatever.

as for fuel are you getting fuel in the cylinder. Check the plug see if its wet. If not pull carb and boot off and inspect the reeds. If there good and moove, re assemble carb and put some gas in like a windex botle and spray just 1 spray into the carb if it pops its probly somthing simple. Petcock on tank or a filter restricting fuel. Hope this helps. Fyi bad gas will cause issues to. Always try to run 91 non ethanol. And use a fresh batch to troubleshoot.

check all grounds and wires for corrosion. I had a pw80 it had a faulty kill switch did the same thing. But trouble shoot everything before you go buy parts.
Like post states, good fire, got fuel,even pulled coil an carb off running pw50. I unplugged switch,but will try switch off running pw50. New plugs, yep bought extra. All old gas been removed, petcock fuel flows, just like running pw50, switch I thought just unplug to test,but will try switch off running bike.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok if spark is good its not switch or grounds. The switch kills the spark. You cleaned exhaust. Yout getting fuel to the cylinder "wet spark plug". And you have compression. Baffled???... mabie spark isn't stong enough. Sand diodes on the plug or get a new one and try. I've never had a issues where I had compression, spark, air, fuel, exhaust but no run. Unless its flooding it out. But if ya swapped carbs from a running one that can't be the case. If reeds were bad compression would be choppy. Maby too much air. Try hand choking till ya feel gas on your hand, open the throttle and kick it a few times. Between evaporation of fuel and constant air flow it should at least pop with compression and spark....... this is verry interesting to me. No start condition with all running necessitys in order. It will be figured out. Your in the rite place.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also try kicking with exhaust off. I'm not saying run like that but that will atleast rule our carbon blockage. I've had to kero 2 stroke exhausts 5 times before. And check reeds. Srry about how scattered this is I'm running thrwe every thing I can think of

Old 07-10-2017, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also try kicking with exhaust off. I'm not saying run like that but that will atleast rule our carbon blockage. I've had to kero 2 stroke exhausts 5 times before. And check reeds. Srry about how scattered this is I'm running thrwe every thing I can think of
I appreciate the help, spark is fine,as stated above I have 2 TWO of these pw50 this one that wont run is new to me. I'm pulling parta off running pw50 an trying them on the one that is giving issues. I havent had chance to try switch, but glad you mentioned it, but dont think thats it

Old 07-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im aware you have 2. As I stated if you have spark don't bother with the switch lol. The switch kills the spark so that's working correctly. Try starting with exhaust removed. Make sure spark plug is getting wet with gas. Inspect the reeds under the carb boot. That's all that is left if compression and spark are good.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im aware you have 2. As I stated if you have spark don't bother with the switch lol. The switch kills the spark so that's working correctly. Try starting with exhaust removed. Make sure spark plug is getting wet with gas. Inspect the reeds under the carb boot. That's all that is left if compression and spark are good.
Thanks Justin, yeah she getting fuel to plug, I'll probably get a chance to check exhaust tomorrow, the spark arrestor part of muffler was full of junk, carbon I guess, made me wanna check the other one. I never seen such a mess in there,washed it out with gas,all kinda of chunks came out.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK we are popping an trying to start. I'm starting to think its timing or something. I pull the whole exhaust off, cleaned it,an not really that bad. I tried with out exhaust at all, an then put muffler bk on without spark arrestor, an she is trying to start, but bk firing. I even tried the carb off running pw again

Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Found out timing is supposed to be permanently set, not sure why its popping bk, fixing to pour gas on it,an fire it up.