General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

My First Trail Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
We are going out again tomorrow on a trail about an hour from us. There will be four of us this trip, the more the merrier. I'm still the rookie, but gaining confidence. I understand there is a steep downhill section on this trail that we must navigate. The guys talk about tires skidding and the fact that you need to keep them rotating so you can steer. I understand this trail is a bit more difficult than the last one.

Oh well, new adventures keeps a guy young.

David
hehehe, my guess is Red Cone

It's not so bad, use engine braking to help keep you slower. Will you be going up Radical Hill?

Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The Outlander has excellent engine braking. When you get to a steep downhill section, put it in 4wd and low range. If you do find yourself skidding at all just give it a little gas to keep control. The Max is great on hills with the extra wheelbase.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome pics and glad you had a great time. One day I hope to do that too!!!

Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been riding the trails in 4wd and low range with the "normal" key tune. For the Can Am Outlander Max Ltd, normal key detunes the engine and limits the top speed. (The "performance" key is full horsepower. The machine does have very good engine braking.

It's just hard for my pea sized brain to speed up when you are skidding down a hill. Just like it is when my pickup slips on an icy road.

I'm learning...

David

Old 07-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
I've been riding the trails in 4wd and low range with the "normal" key tune. For the Can Am Outlander Max Ltd, normal key detunes the engine and limits the top speed. (The "performance" key is full horsepower. The machine does have very good engine braking.

It's just hard for my pea sized brain to speed up when you are skidding down a hill. Just like it is when my pickup slips on an icy road.

I'm learning...

David
It's kind of like trying to steer through a corner, only to end up sliding straight. In this case, if you have a powerful quad you can blip the throttle to bring the rear end of the quad around (and shift your weight forward). Counter-intuitive to say the least but it works.