General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

My First Trail Ride

Old 07-14-2017, 08:25 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My First Trail Ride

I've patiently waited six months for today. I purchased my Can Am last December, and today I had an opportunity to ride it on a real mountain trail. My friends said they would go easy on me, but talk is cheap. They were very helpful, especially in the safety training. Turning around on a narrow trail in the mountains is dicy at best.

We saw beautiful Rocky Mountain scenery the whole ride. I enjoyed the sections below the tree line as opposed to the "alpine tundra" up high. We were over 12k feet up. The wildflower bloom is just starting. We saw no other riders on our 23 mile jaunt.

I had to cover very rocky trails, very narrow trails, very wet creek crossings, very steep drop offs on narrow trails, very steep descents, very snow blocked trails, and a sunburned nose. We were riding about 3 and a half hours. All part of "going easy on me". Great fun!

My Outlander performed admirable, no issues. The DPS electric steering is a must have. The Can Am suspension soaked up all those rocks and boulders. I did not skid over a rock on this trip. I used 4wd quite a bit. And you sure would not want to break down 10 miles up some mountain trail. I shall never ride alone in the mountains.

So another person gets hooked on the ATV hobby. My friends were riding Arctic Cat 700s. It is about the same size as my Can Am. Both brands did exactly what they were designed for.

David

Old 07-15-2017, 08:40 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

nice trip... nothing beats riding with friends

Old 07-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a great place to ride.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Great pics. Looks like a great day too.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't get much better than that! I'm looking at replacing my 2002 Arctic Cat 400 with either an AC 700 or a Outlander 570.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Back Country Explorer

Hi hydrex: My buddies both ride Arctic Cat 700 TUV. I think they are 2014 models. They both have been ATV enthusiasts for over 25 years and have had many brands. They are quite happy with their machines. But I went and bought a Can Am just to be different.

The friends were saying there are great deals on leftover Arctic Cat ATVs right now. Textron is shedding inventory at a loss. I suppose there will be a new, improved Arctic Cat soon. The current design seems quite good if you like 700cc single cylinder engine.

David

Old 07-15-2017, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can buy an Outlander 570 no power steering , no winch for the same price as a 700 VLX Cat. The only thing that I don't like about the VLX, they don't come with differential lock like my diesel has. On the other hand, I've never been stuck with the AC 400. Honestly, I've owned 3 Cats, lets call rescue Cats, they were abused, I fixed em, they were awesome. I just sold a 2001 500 AC that I got for $400, fixed it, used it for 3 years, sold it for $2,500! So Cats have been good to me. If I can sell the 400 for a profit, I only paid $1400 for it, then I'll make up my mind. BTW, I can't beat your scenery, but I can ride every day! I can drive out my driveway and onto some really cool trails! I think the new improved models Cats are the Alterras, supposed to be much better, but, heck I like the old style ones!

Old 07-16-2017, 01:47 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's great to see you were able to get out and experience riding your atv on some beautiful mountain trails. I personally love running my machine on trails it was designed to tackle. I hope to hit some colorado trails some day. I've always loved the mountains. Great photos, I'm glad you remembered to take some pics!!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Back Country Explorer

We are going out again tomorrow on a trail about an hour from us. There will be four of us this trip, the more the merrier. I'm still the rookie, but gaining confidence. I understand there is a steep downhill section on this trail that we must navigate. The guys talk about tires skidding and the fact that you need to keep them rotating so you can steer. I understand this trail is a bit more difficult than the last one.

Oh well, new adventures keeps a guy young.

David

Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Back Country Explorer

hydrex: My two buddies ride identical 2014 Arctic Cat Alterras TUV 700s. They have had very good luck with them, and judging by the first trail ride with them they are not babied machines by any means. They advised me to look hard at the Arctic Cat, especially with the good deals going around. But I didn't take their advice. I'm happy with the Can Am Outlander so far. I think of the Can Am more as a trail machine as opposed to a working machine.

David

Search this Thread