General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Side by side or ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Frank
When I looked on Polaris' website they're still showing the 2018 Sportsman 1000. It was 1 HP more than the 2018 Outlander 1000, but the 2019 Outlander now has 1 HP more than the Sportsman had last year. As far as I can tell the 2019 Sportsman 1000 will be the same HP as the 2018. The Can-Am 976 cc V-twin should be more powerful than the 24 cc smaller 952 Polaris twin. It should actually be putting out even more power than that. It's 2.5% bigger but only putting out 1% more power. Can-Am would have to get 2 more hp out of their new engine to match last year's Polaris engine's power/size ratio.

Believe it or not the Outlander 1000's estimated dry weight is 21 pounds heavier than the Sportsman 1000's. If that's right the Outlander has 2.6% more weight but only 1% more power, meaning the Sportsman has a better hp/weight ratio. But Polaris may be underestimating the weight intentionally and that could be BS. Either way, they both have ridiculous amounts of power. And the Outlander may be less likely to catch fire. Who knows?
Haven't drag raced my son yet but I would bet he has a slightly higher top speed and that I could beat him in a short race. Just the way the clutching is set up. I'll have to ask Specta if there is any safe place to open them up when we go out to Utah.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I'd probably get the Can-Am over the Polaris myself too. I've never liked the shifter on any of the Sportsman models.
I love the shifter on my Sportsman. It's a straight line from high, through the other gears, all the way to park. When I plow it's easy to go straight from low to reverse, back and forth, back and forth. No pulling it sideways or anything to change gears. And it's never needed any kind of adjustment. If Can-Am makes one the same way that will give me another reason to look at them. But if Yamaha had all the things I like about Polaris I'd probably get one of those over Can-Am. Yamaha had better quality than Can-Am and still might.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Back Country Explorer

I agree on the Sportsman shifting linkage. The Can Am is clumsy at best. Plowing snow: forward, reverse, forward, reverse is clumsy due to the shifter detents, and due to the Can Am gear design. Everyone mentions the "Can Am hump" as you sometimes have to wiggle the machine to get to engage a selected gear.

That said, there are strengths and weaknesses of all the machines. Pick your machine and live with it. I do enjoy my Can Am. No regrets.

David

Old 09-12-2018, 11:00 PM
THE BERMINATOR

No regrets. That's what really matters.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Frank
I love the shifter on my Sportsman. It's a straight line from high, through the other gears, all the way to park. When I plow it's easy to go straight from low to reverse, back and forth, back and forth. No pulling it sideways or anything to change gears. And it's never needed any kind of adjustment. If Can-Am makes one the same way that will give me another reason to look at them. But if Yamaha had all the things I like about Polaris I'd probably get one of those over Can-Am. Yamaha had better quality than Can-Am and still might.
If Yamaha puts the new 850 twin from the Wolverine X2 and X4 in the Grizzly, I think it would finally be a worthy competitor to the big hp Can-Am and Polaris have. Its rumored to happen but probably not until next year at least. No need to get rid of the current Grizzly 700 but add the 850 as a more powerful flagship model. It seems Honda will never have a powerful utility atv. The Rincon is still being built and it was outdated 10 years ago. By the way, I love the shifter on my King Quad. I thought it would be awkward being on the left hand side but its so smooth and easy to use. I think the Grizzly is similar though its been a long time since I've been on a Grizzly 700. That's what I was actually going to buy this time but the King Quad was available and I liked the price and got it instead. I don't think I'll ever buy another non efi machine, unless its an older Scrambler as a 2nd atv to have something to rip around and just go fast on.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:41 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Yamaha could sell boatloads of Grizzly big-bore twins if they made them. Honda may make a utility ATV someday with significantly more power than my 10 year old 500, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. It seems they either don't need, or don't want, the business. That's okay. More for everybody else.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Back Country Explorer

This may have been mentioned before. If so, I apologize. We are discussing quads versus side by sides. Is there a machine in the middle? I think there is.

The Polaris Ace 900 makes a lot of sense to me. It is bigger than 50" wide and it doesn't have two seats, but most other features look attractive. It has a roll cage, it has a lower center of gravity, it has the Polaris drive train and suspension. If I was in the market, I would shop the Polaris Ace.

David

https://ace.polaris.com/en-us/ace-900-xc/

Old 09-14-2018, 09:29 PM
THE BERMINATOR

There's a single-seat RZR RS1 too, but it's 5" wider than the ACE 900 XC. 32 more HP too if you want a 1000 instead of a 900. The starting price is only $1,300 more so if you have a place you can drive it that could be another possibility. Neither of them would fit down the trails here, but an Ace 500 or Ace 570 EPS would. I think I'd rather ride than drive as long as I'm able to, but I'd rather drive an Ace than a 50" RZR if it comes down to it. If the trails were another 16" wider the RZR RS1 would fit. You could go maybe 15-20 mph in your 110 HP beast, just like I can on our 50" trails.

https://rzr.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-rs1/

Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Originally Posted by dbj216
This may have been mentioned before. If so, I apologize. We are discussing quads versus side by sides. Is there a machine in the middle? I think there is.

The Polaris Ace 900 makes a lot of sense to me. It is bigger than 50" wide and it doesn't have two seats, but most other features look attractive. It has a roll cage, it has a lower center of gravity, it has the Polaris drive train and suspension. If I was in the market, I would shop the Polaris Ace.

David

https://ace.polaris.com/en-us/ace-900-xc/

I have two friends that bought Ace's and neither one of them kept them very long and went back to ATVs.

I believe that they were the 570s.

I asked Don and he just said, "I just really didn't like anything about it".

Old 09-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Originally Posted by Franky65
Nice machine! The Polaris and Can Am are the top 2 in this category I think. I am leaning towards the Can Am though. It's about 8% to 10% cheaper than the Polaris in Canada, probably due to transport and duties... I will be testing the 850 and 1000 Limited Edition next week. Either way, you can't go wrong with those 2. thanks!
My good friend just bought a new 850 Max to replace his 2014 800 Max after racking up 24,000 miles in 4 years.

He said buying another one was a no brainer.

Quick Reply: Side by side or ATV?