General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Side by side or ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I tested the 850 & 1000 Can Am 2019. The extra power of the 1000 was impressive on flat open stretches (although there aren't many where I ride) but moreover when climbing which I really liked. I was afraid the throttle would jerk with all that power, but they adjusted it not to do so. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but in laments terms, it was explained to me that the 1000 has a throttle adjustment to avoid jerking when riding at high speeds and also when used in one of three ride settings (which I really liked). Won't always need the extra power, but good to know its there when needed. Also, the ride adjusts when at high speeds - the suspension stiffens for better control. I didn't notice this on the Polaris.

The 850 is VERY capable and I found found it more nimble - better for hunting and heavy bush I think. That said I brought my son with me, who fell in love with it. So it looks like I'm getting both... Always better to ride with someone else, and as teenagers get older, it's nice to know they still want to do stuff with the old fart. Both machines are 2 up so the other kids can tag along . I guess it's also useful to have a second machine to go out with friends. Looks like the snowmobile(s) will wait till next year.

As for pricing: Can Am have a 1500$ per machine cashback till Oct 31! And, the dealer will throw in 500$ of accessories per machine seeing as I am buying 2. So the Can Am was a no brainer, despite the fact that the Polaris was a blast to ride. Again, I'm not a mechanic, but the Polaris felt more solid for some reason... I have to place the order soon....

Old 09-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From personal experience I would pick a Can Am over a Polaris every time. A no brianer for me

Congrats, good choice. I hope that they exceed your expectations.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Franky65
So I tested the 850 & 1000 Can Am 2019. The extra power of the 1000 was impressive on flat open stretches (although there aren't many where I ride) but moreover when climbing which I really liked. I was afraid the throttle would jerk with all that power, but they adjusted it not to do so. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but in laments terms, it was explained to me that the 1000 has a throttle adjustment to avoid jerking when riding at high speeds and also when used in one of three ride settings (which I really liked). Won't always need the extra power, but good to know its there when needed. Also, the ride adjusts when at high speeds - the suspension stiffens for better control. I didn't notice this on the Polaris.

The 850 is VERY capable and I found found it more nimble - better for hunting and heavy bush I think. That said I brought my son with me, who fell in love with it. So it looks like I'm getting both... Always better to ride with someone else, and as teenagers get older, it's nice to know they still want to do stuff with the old fart. Both machines are 2 up so the other kids can tag along . I guess it's also useful to have a second machine to go out with friends. Looks like the snowmobile(s) will wait till next year.

As for pricing: Can Am have a 1500$ per machine cashback till Oct 31! And, the dealer will throw in 500$ of accessories per machine seeing as I am buying 2. So the Can Am was a no brainer, despite the fact that the Polaris was a blast to ride. Again, I'm not a mechanic, but the Polaris felt more solid for some reason... I have to place the order soon....
Polaris is a slightly heavier machine. The strongest frame in my mind. Don't like the lack of space on their Touring model if you have the passenger seat in place. Very little area for a cargo box or bag. Why I went to Can-Am back in 2012. I also don't like the clutching as much on the Polaris machines. Can-Am engages very quickly while the Polaris has to spool up more. I would give a nod to Polaris on ride comfort though. I wish I could get a mix of both machines....

Anyhow, congratulations on your new machines! Great hobby to share with your kids. My oldest son still rides with me. We've been riding together since he was about 13 years old and he's 26 now.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:11 PM
THE BERMINATOR

My post disappeared.

I just wanted to congratulate you and ask for pictures when you get them.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dbj216
This may have been mentioned before. If so, I apologize. We are discussing quads versus side by sides. Is there a machine in the middle? I think there is.

The Polaris Ace 900 makes a lot of sense to me. It is bigger than 50" wide and it doesn't have two seats, but most other features look attractive. It has a roll cage, it has a lower center of gravity, it has the Polaris drive train and suspension. If I was in the market, I would shop the Polaris Ace.

David

https://ace.polaris.com/en-us/ace-900-xc/
We've owned two Polaris Ace', the first was a 570, and the second was a 900 SP. The 900 XC came out the year after we bought our 900 SP. My son was the primary rider of both our Ace machines, but I did put some significant seat time on them. It was enough for me to see that they weren't for me. The one thing they do well though is low speed, low range, very technical terrain. They are so small, and you are seated right in the middle of the machine, much lower than on an ATV. Each corner is only a foot or two away from your body, so they are very easy to maneuver in tight technical terrain, almost like a mini Jeep. That makes them very fun for that purpose, just trying to see how crazy of terrain you can get through. But they aren't so fun when speed increases, and they are a bit unstable. My son flipped his 570 on day one, despite having been an experienced rider with over ten years experience riding ATVs and dirt bikes at that time. We have since replaced our Ace 900 SP with an Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail, and my son says that he likes the 50" SxS much better than the Ace.

The Ace 900 XC looks like a markedly improved machine over previous Ace models. It has a lot more HP and 3" more suspension travel than other Ace's. This is the one they should have built to begin with.

The Rzr RS1 is based off of a Rzr XP chassis, and not an ATV chassis. It has 30 more HP than even the Ace 900 XC, is 64" wide, and has 16" of suspension travel. It takes the single seat vehicle platform to a whole other level than the Ace.

Franky65, congrats on the two 2-up machines. That is always the best approach when you can't decide which one is best.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Will do... soon as I figure out photos

Old 09-15-2018, 08:18 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I think you need to make 20 posts before you can post pics. It's to cut down on spammers, I do believe. Then you can make a signature too. There's an area at the top of the forum just for testing them out.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

K Thanks. Can't wait ti get them....

Old 09-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure what pictures of machines prove.

I have one of each. I thought I would never buy another ATV. I am thinking of maybe getting one just for something cheap, as back up. But SXS IMO are alot better. Can carry more. Weather protection. Can have someone with you.

Every piece of plastic on mine is trash. If you can live with that you can go same place a machine that is few inches narrower can. I do notice when on atv I can see better cause higher.

I also like busting through brush with roll cage. Safer too. I can see roll bars on ATVs being future.

That being said SXS are very expensive. I have to think at some point used prices will come down, cause so many people have them now.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer

After testing and riding, I made an adjustment. I really like tri-mode, but it's available only on the 1000R. They should really consider this on the 850 and 650 as well - an oversight IMO.

We decided to keep the Ltd (is already a 1000) and swapped the 850 for a 1000. I found the tri-mode especially useful on the rough trails. The 850 a little too jerky without it. Anyhow, it's like Xmas now waiting for them to come in - should be 2 weeks.

As for trailer: looking at a closed trailer: Spending 30K+ on new machines, why not protect them? Will post pics soon as they're here.

Quick Reply: Side by side or ATV?