General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Cheapest ATV insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:49 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Alex. I'm more or less okay. I bounced back. Well, I bounced anyway, but the old 500 didn't fare so well. That's the compact model Sportsman 500 with the short wheelbase. It can turn really sharp, but only left like NASCAR. I'm getting a Sportsman 570 SP. That's the one with dual A-arms and adjustable shocks on the front instead of single A-arms and struts like all my other quads. The dealer said I'm going to like that a lot better. He didn't have to talk me into it because I wasn't looking at any other Polaris. I was on the phone with my friend's wife telling her I that was going to see what kind of dealers we had left in the area and shop around. After talking a little more she asked me, do you like Polaris? I said yeah, and she said, if you like Polaris, buy a Polaris. Well that sure simplifies things. I was kind of surprised to hear that since she rides a Yamaha. Polaris was a strong contender but I planned on seeing what the competition had. I'm open to switching brands but I've been happy with Polaris ATVs, so as long as they keep me happy why switch? But if I have a problem child on my hands, hello Yamaha. I know where there's a good Yamaha dealer near my friends' property. It's a 2 hour drive from here to the dealer so I wouldn't be zipping over there for an air filter or anything. I could also try to find out if this Can-Am dealer is any good if he's still here, which I'm not he is.

I added $1,000 coverage for my 5'x8' tilt-bed utility trailer to my Progressive policy so it's another $19 and change I owe this month. I don't know what a new 5'x8' trailer of this quality costs or if I can get one like it locally anymore. If I don't change anything else next year will be $140 for the ATV and trailer IIRC. I could check if anyone wants to know what coverage I have and what each thing costs. $140 a year for a new ATV plus replacement cost of the trailer is nearly double what I was paying for the old quad alone, but still sounds reasonable. I know I don't have anything on there for medical. I don't think they would cover anything my health insurance won't. I have too many things to do but I need to talk to my agent again and get his advice as far as coverage amounts and deductibles are concerned. That might not happen until after my 4th of July vacation. I bought new ratchet tie-down straps and threw away all of my old straps. I won't lose a new ATV on the freeway because of old tie-downs.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Not sure how Mich insurance works, but here in Ohio your ins comes in 3 parts. First is liability that covers other people, then collision which covers yourself and your equipment and last is fire/theft coverage. Medical (injury) is covered based on your coverage anount in the first two catagories. I carry 50,000 in coverage for everyrhing which also includes 5000 in medical for each person lnvolved. I pay 140 per year for utv and enclosed trailer thru Safeco. Never had a claim yet! This also includes up to 3500 in add on accessories. From others I have spoke with this has been more rhan reasonable but not sure how it compares to Michigan coverage....

Old 06-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Not sure how Mich insurance works, but here in Ohio your ins comes in 3 parts. First is liability that covers other people, then collision which covers yourself and your equipment and last is fire/theft coverage. Medical (injury) is covered based on your coverage anount in the first two catagories. I carry 50,000 in coverage for everyrhing which also includes 5000 in medical for each person lnvolved. I pay 140 per year for utv and enclosed trailer thru Safeco. Never had a claim yet! This also includes up to 3500 in add on accessories. From others I have spoke with this has been more rhan reasonable but not sure how it compares to Michigan coverage....
All states work the same...

Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

We dont have no fault ins here in Ohio so not quite the same....

Old 06-09-2019, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
We dont have no fault ins here in Ohio so not quite the same....
I said 'WORK" the same.. didnt say exactly the same.. sheesh..

Old 06-15-2019, 01:14 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My coverage always comes in several parts and I pay $2 a year for Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage. I have fairly good medical coverage and don't know if the insurance company would pay anything that wasn't already covered, so I never got it. That's one of the things I need to talk to my agent about whenever I find the time. Progressive has always been good to me. I think this was my 5th claim but TBH I've lost count. Every time I had another claim I thought they would drop me, but they didn't even raise my rates until I now. And I'm getting a Claim Free Renewal discount because it's been so many years since the last claim. I just checked to see what my rate is going to be after this fraction of a year's payment, added trailer coverage, and new ATV coverage are caught up. It says the total policy rate is $244.00 and the total rate is $204.00. I don't know if that means it will be $204.00 a year after they take all the discounts off, but for now they want $83.92. I don't know what the heck I was looking at before. I see 4 or 5 discounts and it says there aren't any surcharges so I must be doing something right.

My coverage is:

Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability: $20,000 each person, $40,000 each accident,
$10,000 each accident

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: $20,000 each person, $40,000 each accident

Medical Payments: No Coverage

Medical Benefits: No Coverage

Comprehensive: $500 deductible

Collision: $500 deductible

Roadside Assistance: No Coverage

Carried Contents®: No Coverage

Accessory coverage: $3,000 Included

Old 06-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

Insurance in Mich has always been higher than Ohio, but....mich sure has a far better trail system!

Old 06-15-2019, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

I'm with Allstate on all my insurance and my ATV is only 106 a year.