General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Melted electrical connection...what to do?

  #1  
Old 06-16-2019, 05:19 PM
bradleyheathhays's Avatar
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted electrical connection...what to do?

So I put a headlight wiring kit from LMC Truck on my '96 Cherokee that circumvents the normal wiring and runs the headlights directly off the battery by way of a relay. The kit runs the lights at 55/100 (low, hi) watts instead of the original 55/60. One reason I did this was because the light output was terrible, and the other was because for some unknown reason the headlights would shut off after being on hi for a bit. Never did this on low. I've had the new wiring kit on for a few years now and it seems to have solved the issue.


The problem I'm having now though is that this new harness is melting at one of the connections...




You can see only one of the wires is overheating while the other seems to be ok. I'm guessing the hot one is used by the high beams.

What could be causing this? Could it be related to why the high beams used to shut off before I replaced the wiring harness? A while back I asked about the shutting off issue on a number of Jeep boards but nobody had heard of this particular problem before.
 
  #2  
Old 06-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,007
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The only way the kit would run your lights at 55/100 is if that was what was in your truck instead of stock. The 100 side is way to hot of a bulb for a stock wiring system thats why they were shutting off and thats why you burnt out this harness. All the harness does is supply a consistent voltage to the lights, instead of loosing voltage like a stock system does as it has to run through switches and relays and such.
Were did the relay and fuse go out of that harness you added? If the rest of the harness is like that section in the picture with a butt connector 2 inches away from battery then its junk you can see where that connector was overheating
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
toonces
Buying an ATV
3
09-09-2015 03:28 PM
JeffJ
Honda
4
07-24-2009 09:00 PM
chuckneste
Yamaha
1
04-03-2008 01:20 PM
JJFlash
Honda
3
01-22-2007 09:11 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Melted electrical connection...what to do?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: