General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Where is the Honda SidexSide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the Honda SidexSide?

Honda bases their utility quads very much to the "utility" side of things. I figured the company that pays the most attention to work-capable machines would have had one of the first utility side-by-sides available. Now that Suzuki is selling Kawasaki's Mule that means all the major manufacturers have these machines......except big red. What's the deal? Are there any plans for this in the future?

Old 06-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I know this doesnt really rlate to the topic, but can those do trails utilitys can? Like technical hills and stuff?

Old 06-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

I think it depends on the machine. I wouldn't take the run-of-the-mill John Deere Gator out for the trail riding that I do, it wouldn't make it. However the higher performance Gators like the HPX line and the Yamaha Rhino should be quite capable of technical trail riding. I'm not sure about the Kawasaki Mule or the Polaris Ranger, but the 4x4 versions of these look pretty capable.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:31 PM
The Facility

I saw the Honda sidexside prototype at the dealer meeting in New Orleans in 1998 [maybe 1999?]. It was built to get dealer input on as a possible future product.

Rumors of it making it to the assembly line have cropped up every year since, including this year.......so no one knows but a select few if or ever they will have such a product.

I can say that if they come out with one based on the one I saw back then, it will be a flop. That thing had a tandem axle, maybe 3" of suspension travel and a front end that pivoted like most riding mowers. Looked like something you would find only on a golf course....except that wouldn't work out with the tandem axle setup. I was very dissapointed to say the least.

Maybe thats why we haven't seen one yet.....they went back to the drawing board and started again from scratch??

Old 05-07-2005, 02:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Was at a Honda F&I training class and i was told that it should be introduced in September in Las Vegas NV. at the annual dealer meeting. Also mentioned that there could be some protype of a Honda Snowmoblie!