General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

twister hammerhead 150cc go off road go kart

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twister hammerhead 150cc go off road go kart

Originally posted by: JosephV
Wow, the blade states 45-50mph! Why is that, is it a different engine or is it because it's so light 386lbs? I'm really confused now! I'll look at the 2005 KPX. That kart really seems to be the best value. I don't think anyone is close to 2,000 - 2,200. But if the Blade is that much of an upgrade, it might really be worth the extra $$.

My wife is against this because of the cost. My oldest wants an Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word  and new cell phone as it is. I noticed via my surfing that someone was offering 90days same as cash financing. But I don't remember where that was ... does anyone know? That may take the edge off of my expensive gift idea and make the wife happy as well.

Thanks!
Joe
Yeah, we believe the Blade may have the larger valved head that the Dazon has which would be making it stronger. speed is usually overstated on these... but 40-45 may not be out of the question. With the price difference only being about $350 between a 2005 Kpx-Style (sold by awesome buggies) and the blade at blade powesports... I'd probably lean towards the blade, but that's just me. Looks like nice bar padding, the buit in speedometer is cool, chrome wheels, etc.

-Steve

Old 12-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

Ohhh, mine had that nice sealant too, I think it was leaking where you screw the lid on and also the filter is just not very good. What is up with that goofy metal screen AFTER the foam filter? There is not that much dust this time of year now that it rains every day. Back when it hadn't rained in a couple of months I literally could not see my brother 20 feet in front of me when riding. That is when I replaced the intake and noticed all the dust, I think it was just going right through the filter.

Joseph, As far as claimed speed and weight, I wouldn't believe any of it.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Ahh, okay. I had heard that there was sealent missing at the neck there in some carts. Yeah, pretty cheesy filter. But for me, it seemed to be working well in moderately dusty conditions.

Yeah, that metal grid was strange... like, what's the point? If anything you would think it would come before the foam to catch twigs, leaves, etc before the debris could get to the foam. But after the foam, what's the point?

Oh, I just had a thought, maybe the foam filter was known to fall apart and clog the carb, so they put the metal there to block chunks of foam!!! hehe..

-Steve

Old 12-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JosephV
I'm going nuts looking searching/surfing all the buggy options. Each time I make up my mind which to start seriously pricing, I read something that changes my mind. Anyway, I recently started leaning toward the KPX. I found this post via a search. I saw the pictures of yours. A few questions, if you don't mind:

1. You've obviously contributed many posts to this board, so I'm assuming you've done your homework prior to the double purchase of the KPX. Can you please tell me what swayed you to this machine? I had originally decided on the Twister, but have seen countless reliability issues.

2. I keep seeing that many of these buggys are basically the same thing, just minor changes depending on the make. So why do some say 35mph and some 40? I keep seeing that the motors are similar to Honda. Who really makes these 150cc motors?

3. You mentioned you bought your karts from Toy Junkies for 1,999. I have not found this price or the Toy Junkie site. From what I've seen, this is the lowest price on this type of unit anywhere.

4. How long did it take for you to get your karts once paid for?

5. Please tell me about the performance kit you also ordered. How much does it really help performance, low end and top end? And, how does it effect the noise level?

6. I keep reading about receiving the Karts crated, where assembly is required. I'm very handy, but I even read to "have a professional assemble ... comes with no instructions." Is this a big deal?

7. I thought the KPX colors were red and blue, but it looked like your wife's was black???

Thank you in advance!
Joe
Answers in order:

1) What swayed me towards the KPX's over the others was price and equipment. At the time, the $2K I paid was $300 cheaper than the Twister, and $700 cheaper than the Dazon. I also liked the twin bucket seats(vs the Twister's bench) and the larger rear rack(versus the Dazon's smaller one).

2) The claimed speed is all marketing hype. My Yerf-Dog, my KPX's, and my buddy's Dazon all ran within 1 MPH of each other according to my GPS. As I understand it, the motors are a copy of an old Yamaha scooter engine. They are manufactured by a couple of different companies and they all have minor differences. So far, all the ones I've had apart(Yerf-Dog, KPX, Dazon) have had the same shortblock, but different cylinder heads.

3) Toy Junkies no longer sells the KPX's for $1999. They are now $2399. I've been watching some Ebay auctions for a couple of weeks now. And the 2005 models have been going between $1800 and $2100. So that is probably your best bet if you decide to go with a KPX.

4) Since both Toy Junkies and I are in Arizona, I received my first one(the black one) the same day. But I had to order the blue one. Which took two weeks.

5) The performance kit was a noticeable inprovement in power across the board. However it's LOUD!

6) My KPX's were bought assembled, but I did have to assemble my Yerf when I got it. It was simple. Anyone even remotely handy could do it.

7) KPX only lists them available in blue or red, but they are also available in black. Which when clean, and in bright sunlight, looks awesome. All the metal flake in the paint makes it almost have a color shift effect. Unfortunately, when dirty, it looks like poop. The blue one does a better job of hiding the dirt, but it shows the scratches much more than the black one. So it's all a matter of opinion. The red one I'm undecided about. It's kinda a red/pink/maroon/purplish color. All the colors look dramatically different in person than in pics. So don't judge the colors by their pics.

Sorry for the rambling. Let me know if you've got any more questions.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hopsterguy
The exterior of the head looks identical to the Xterro...

Does the pipe stick straight out(a perfect 90 degree angle) from the head. Like the KPX. Or does it bolt to the head at a slightly different angle? Angling the pipe towards the rear of the kart.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORAZ

The XTV by Carter has what appears to be a pretty high quality Keihin carb. Manual choke though... but I like it that way.

I've heard that the XTV's actually use a smaller carb than the other karts(which is a 24mm). Have you found any markings that indicate what size the XTV's carb is?

Okay, from what I can tell it's an ATV type of carb. Throttle linkage plugs directly into the top of the carb through a stalk pointing vertically towards the sky. I put pictures on my profile there... sorry, one of them is a bit blurry, and please excuse all the dirt. Been working ever since the last ride.

Like I mentioned before, it appears to be a nice Keihin carb. Series is PTG and on the flange to the intake manifold it reads 028[A]RFW.

Sounds like it might be 28 mm??? Would make sense, as this cart has good output.

So far I can only find a few foreign references to it, and the translations are rough. I did find it mounted to a 250cc ATV somewhere.

-Steve

Edit: Ahhh bummer. My picture page is "pending approval" so whenever the mods get around to it, they should be there.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORAZ
The exterior of the head looks identical to the Xterro...

Does the pipe stick straight out(a perfect 90 degree angle) from the head. Like the KPX. Or does it bolt to the head at a slightly different angle? Angling the pipe towards the rear of the kart.

Ahhh... darn... Let me get back to you on that one.

-Steve

Old 12-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, the angles look to be the same to me. Added more pics to the page that has yet to be approved.

The crank case on the XTV has some added mounting points on the bottom that will be really obvious in the pics. The head looks the same judging by external reference points. The plastic case surrounding the head on the XTV is identical to the Xterro.

No way to know the really important stuff though without removing the head of the XTV.

Old 12-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

For all those interested, I've been watching some Ebay auctions for a while now. And here's what I've seen some auctions close for:

1 seater Pirate 150(appears to be a KPX clone) = $1600-$1700

2 seater Explorer 150(also appears to be a KPX clone) = $1900-$2100

1 seater Blade 150(appears to be Dazon clone) = $2000-$2100

2 seat Blade 150(again appears to be a Dazon clone) = $2200-$2400

After comparing the specs between the Explorer's versus the Blade's, I think the Blade's area better value. For the extra $200-300 more, you get better seats, nicer wheels, bigger front tires, a speedometer, a hitch, and better lights.

Just some FYI for those looking to buy a buggy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2004, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, the angles look to be the same to me. Added more pics to the page that has yet to be approved.

The crank case on the XTV has some added mounting points on the bottom that will be really obvious in the pics. The head looks the same judging by external reference points. The plastic case surrounding the head on the XTV is identical to the Xterro.

No way to know the really important stuff though without removing the head of the XTV.
Judging from your pics, I'd bet that the XTV has a similar head design as the Yerf. Since the Dazon's exhaust port angles back.

Quick Reply: twister hammerhead 150cc go off road go kart