General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

twister hammerhead 150cc go off road go kart

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twister hammerhead 150cc go off road go kart

Originally posted by: RAPTORAZ
hopsterguy, thank's for all the info and the comparison of the two karts.

I called Carter as well today. The XTV's carburator is $90 and the intake is $15. Sounds like this is gonna be the next mod for my KPX's.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Could I get you two measure the bolt spacing(on the intake manifolds) between your karts? Maybe even do a clearance visual between the two as well.
Sure, just have to give me some time. I want to look at how that throttle cable is mounted on the ATV style carb on the XTV as well. Never seen the inside of one of these types of connections. Maybe you have.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hopsterguy

I called Carter as well today. The XTV's carburator is $90 and the intake is $15. Sounds like this is gonna be the next mod for my KPX's.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Could I get you two measure the bolt spacing(on the intake manifolds) between your karts? Maybe even do a clearance visual between the two as well.
Sure, just have to give me some time. I want to look at how that throttle cable is mounted on the ATV style carb on the XTV as well. Never seen the inside of one of these types of connections. Maybe you have.

No problem. Typically the throttle cable cable is connected directly to the slide on that style of carb. So as you pull on the cable, the slide goes up. When you pull off the top cap, the slide will come out with the cable end. Be careful, sometimes they "pop" out with some pieces coming off.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

No problem. Typically the throttle cable cable is connected directly to the slide on that style of carb. So as you pull on the cable, the slide goes up. When you pull off the top cap, the slide will come out with the cable end. Be careful, sometimes they "pop" out with some pieces coming off.

Ack!... okay, I'll take it easy with it. I do all the work in a clean garage anyhow, so parts will be easy to find.

Okay, swapped manifold tubes. They are interchangable! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Didn't think I would get to it tonight, but I did. (don't tell the little lady) Even the thread size is the same on the manifold mounting studs on the engine. (nuts were interchangable) Stud lengths were the same, so no issue there.

The only thing that slightly worried me was the fact that the metal XTV manifold tube puts the carb about an inch further back. Thought about the possibilty that it would make the carb push into the upper swing arm brace. I'll take some more measurements... and likely remove the carb entirely from the XTV to test fitment on the Xterro... might not be until tomorrow night though.

Keep in mind Carter Brothers sells the performance air filter right on their site for this carb. (haven't checked to see if ours fits yet)

-Steve

Old 12-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Okay, a kink. Carburetor fits on the Xterro, but points right at the upper cross brace on the swing arm with only about 3/4 to 1 inch space between the carb and the brace. I uploaded a pic. If the intake manifold tube was first taller from the engine, and then pointed downward more, it would work, but the angle is all wrong. No way to mount an air filter without cutting or removing structures. I'm sure there are other manifolds out there that would work better, but finding them might be a pain.

May be best to wait a few weeks to get info on the bigger 2005 carbs. BladePowersports said he would have his replacement parts available after 12/15 or so and did say he would get back to me when he can find out more about the carb.

-Steve

Old 12-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

Okay, a kink. Carburetor fits on the Xterro, but points right at the upper cross brace on the swing arm with only about 3/4 to 1 inch space between the carb and the brace. I uploaded a pic. If the intake manifold tube was first taller from the engine, and then pointed downward more, it would work, but the angle is all wrong. No way to mount an air filter without cutting or removing structures.
Nice pics. So much for the XTV carb transplant idea. I'll call KPX today, and see if I can get any more info on the bigger carburator rumor.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Folks,

I've been trying to keep up with your string and the latest carb experiment. Can one of you explain exactly what's going on ... why you are attempting the carb exchange? I'm sure it's because of performance reasons, but why exactly does the carb have so much to do with it? One is stated as being much quicker low end and top speed. Why is that? Do they have a different engine ... OR different carb, and that's why this exchange? Also, you mentioned Stu at Blade fixing to have a replacement carb available. Why is that important? Does he have a larger carb/engine? I'm still getting the Blade. Something better may come along, but for now it's the value I'm looking for. By the way, since you had a conversation with him, he told me that the Dazon engine was different ... what did he tell you about his engine? His claimed top speed seems high, and what are the chances that the high top speed is going to hurt low end torque? Unless, of course, he has some unique 150cc engine thing going on that nobody else has.

Lastly, I have an F-150. I sort of imagined toting the kart in the back. Is this possible. I think Stu said it's about 59 inches wide (outside of wheels). It seems like the fender wells would be in the way. I've considered building a platform which would create a flat surface above the fender wells, extending the full width of the truck. Do you guys have any other ideas for transport? It's not all that heavy, compared to some, but I'm positive I'd need some ramps. The cost of the Kart is all I can handle right now. What ever I do for transport is going to have to be cheap (for now). I'd love to have a utility trailer for it, and I've seen some great fold up trailers on the Internet. Those are cool.

Happy holidays!
Joe

Old 12-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

The bigger the diameter of the carburetor venturi, the better it should be able to handle a higher rate of airflow and fuel vaporization. Raptoraz has gone a long way to freeing up the internal breathing of his engines, and now likely would benefit from feeding it more energy to help increase power.

Part of the performance increasing parts put on these engines this year appears to be a larger carb... also an updated CDI unit, and some ignition parts (still not totally sure which other parts... if they mean a hotter coil, or what yet) My Carter XTV 150cc engine is very similar to the engine found on my 2004 KPX Xterro, but the performance increase on the XTV is outstanding. It too has a 28mm carb instead of the 24 that is found on others until recently.

If Stu's engines are performing like they say they are, then it sounds more like the output I'm getting from the XTV. On that engine I have both inreased low end, mid range, and top speed. I'm assuming he probably has a larger carb on this cart line as well... and hoping so, because he sounds like a good guy to go through to get some parts that we may want for these things. Either that or I just sell my KPX and get a blade [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Look forward to hearing your comments on it... and if you have a good way to measure top end speed, that will be a good thing. Most of the chinese carts are topping off at 31-35 mph.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Range Rover

Joseph,
you will be able to back the cart into the truck without going over the wheel wells. If you look at my pictures (click the camera by my name) then you can see mine in the back of my small truck, however, since I have a small truck, it sits on the wheel wells. These buggies are wider in the front so it will not fit in my bed that way but it should fit in yours, you will just have to drive it over the wheel wells. I think mine is 49" wide in the back (outside to outside) and 52" or 54" in the front.

I use cheap wood ramps with the metal pieces you buy at the home improvement store for loading lawn mowers. These get too slick when it rains or is muddy though, the aluminum ones are much better for wet conditions.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Okay, heard back from awesome buggys. The new style kpx-type carts apparantly have the same carb (or at least venturi diameter) of 24mm. Only the standard jetting has changed there. (not sure what he new standard is yet) So there goes that.

Confirmed that the CDI is definately updated and I asked more questions about what they mean by ignition switch. Wondering if the coil was updated or something.

Just waiting to hear back from Stu from Blade at some point in the next few weeks.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Kell, nice new pics. I need to get shots when the sun is out, myself.

To those that use Foam air breathers, What kind of oil can be used on the foam for best results? Do you have to use foam air filter oil, or can something else be substituted with equal results??? I don't think anyone local to me sells this stuff, so I'm curious on what else can be used.

Quick Reply: twister hammerhead 150cc go off road go kart