General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

mini buggy vs honda pilot 400

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini buggy vs honda pilot 400

if you want pics, just e-mail me. ill have even more photos after our next trip to the dunes with paddles on the buggy.

slimefink@yahoo.com

mike

Old 04-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

here we go again, going to the dunes--weather permitting--this saturday and with a set of paddles on the buggy this time, ill post results once we get back.

update on updates for the 800cc buggy motors. venom is offering a tubo kit for three grand complete and installed and for much less as a kit for self installation.

info@toyjunkies.com also offers the turbo kit but also a carb mod and muffler kit that adds about 10 to 12 more horespower.

this is good news because it shows that the "go fast gurus" are starting to recognize our buggys as something worth putting some R and D time in, and that the sales show that the 800cc buggys are doing well in the atv market

mike

Old 04-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

update---paddle tires came and are on the buggy, the weather looks good for today and tomarrow so off we are going to the dunes tomarrow to test and have fun.

ill have pics, and a full report on this 800cc buggy will be posted once we get back.

mike

Old 04-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

didn't you startthis thread????

Old 04-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

I did, and ive just been adding to it.
but I was tuned up over adding to another thread.

mike

Old 04-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

hello again, well the day finally arrived and with good weather we took the venom mamba to the dunes wearing a set of new paddle tires.

I stated before that this buggy was surprising but not amazing and climbed hills well, that was then this is now.

with the paddles the buggy has a real need for more power, the same hills topped with relative ease with the stock tires were a struggle with the paddles. the motor had trouble getting up on pipe, out of the hole was ok but the roleout was strained.

now to be fair, every off road or on road for that matter, vehicle ive ever owned ive added more power goodies to up the performance and it is the case with my wifes buggy as well. she anticipated this and as the test ride ended she just looked at me and said "more power", this is her way of saying "honey, its yours--hop it up-- will you please" .

upon getting home the project began with an inspection, I pulled the plugs and found a very lean running motor, and other observances lead to this all around appraisal, the engine needs more air and fuel, and the exhaust needs to be opened up.

Ive been in contact with venom and they offer a turbo kit, installed or for a reduced price in kit form with easy instructions for at home installation. Ive also talked to toyjunkies about thier turbo kit, but also thier carb-filter-exhaust mod kit. now toyjunkies no longer sells the 800cc buggies but they assured me that they will always sell and support the 800cc high performance upgrades.

so now for the big decision, the carb mod kit adds about 20% more power and seems to be the most bang for the "low buck", but the test results for the turbo upgrade seems to tell a very good story, everyone ive talked to says the same thing, that adding a turbo really wakes the 800cc motors up big time.

once the decision is made ill post another update and evaluation of the kit and then my thoughts on the performance improvement or lack there of.

my wife says she needs more power and I know now that it exists inside this motor, stay tuned.

mike

Old 05-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

to whom this may concern, as of today im offering my apologies to all who have read and believed my posts on this board and the other forum ive posted the saga of my wifes 800cc venom mamba buggy.

to understand whats going on here is to start at the beginning when after our trip to glamis this x-mas past and after my wife blew up here honda oddy, I started looking for a new buggy but it had to meet certain criteria.
after a long search we found the venom 800cc mamba and after asking alot of questions we found that it would be perfect for her except that we had heard about the very high gear ratio transmission. I called venom and told the sales staff of my concerns and was told a number of times during the purchase process that the buggy we were buying was the "new and improved" model with the new lower gear ratio trans, this sold the buggy to us and so we bought it.

now, I have bragged about this buggy and venom motors on both boards but the last few days have not only made my wife very upset but the information ive come accross has prompted me to offer my apologies. last weekend was the final shakedown trip to the dunes, new low cut paddles-carb rejet-free flow muffler---the works. the only difference bettween our first run on the dunes other than the performance stuff is the first run was with the stock knobbies and wet sand, this run was dry sand and paddles. the buggy did well on very small stuff and the flats but the hills killed it, my wife cried because she could not stay up with me.

when we got home I was mad enough to break things, but I decided to e-mail every e-mail address for roketa I could find and ask whoever if my wifes buggy had the new low ratio trans. and I sent along the frame number and a co[py of all the paperwork we got with the buggy. within 12 hours I got a reply from the brother of roketas owner confirming my fears, our buggy had the old high ratio trans. and that roketa was ordering new low ratio transmission but none would be available for a month or so and that the new buggys with the new trans will not be shipped for at least a couple of months----I called venom.

now to be honest, venom says they will make this right and they have started conversations about getting the new transmissions, but as of now the whole thing is in limbo. all I can hope for is that my words of praise and claim of the lower ratio trans didnt get anyone to buy one of these buggys, and if it did all I can say is that I was missled as well, but thats no excuse for what I posted.

im copying this to the other forum so everyone can be updated. if anyone wants me to keep posting on this subject I will.

mike

Old 05-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

need advise, I bought an 800cc buggy from venom motors out of las vegas nevada, they told me on several occasions that it had the new lower ratio trans. found out it dosnt and talked to nathan "sales manager" at venom and he said hed check on it. yesturday I was informed that venom was told that it did have the lower ratio trans. and implied that that venom was clear of any responsibility because they told me what roketa told them.

there is more to this saga, but this is the general drift of things as they stand now. nathan told me yesturday that a fix for the very high ratio trans. problem was a smaller diameter rear knobby or paddle tire and offered to "sell" me a set at a reduced price, which turns out to be a little more than his cost plus id have to pay shipping.

does this sound fair??? what do you people think venom should do???

as a side note, other dealers have told me that all the 800cc buggy dealers have always known about the trans. problems and that they have also known the "new" lower ratio transmissions would not be out until the end of july at the earliest.

your advise is needed as to what I should do next.

mike

Old 05-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

If they sold you an apple, and it turned out to be an orange, than they should exchange it.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer

I talked to venom today.

ill keep everyone posted as to what happens next.

mike

Quick Reply: mini buggy vs honda pilot 400