General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

not impressed w/CDI box, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not impressed w/CDI box, what next?

I put an aftermarket CDI box on my Rhino, it went from 39 MPH to 46 MPH, not enought gain for me, any suggestions what mod to do next? I don't want to do major surgery on the engine, but would like to hit around the 50 MPH mark. this CDI box did not bring the whopping seat of the pants gains that the Dynatek did for my 05 Brute Force 750, but, like going to the chiropracter, "it feels a little better" lol. oh yeah, I'm running 5 lbs of air in the tires, is that what most people run offroad?

Old 09-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

Add a jet kit & get some more air into the engine. Then replace the primary sliding sheave with one from the Grizzly & you can get 55 mph with 25 inch tires.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Add a larger air intake snorkel and jet kit. If noise it not a concern an after market exhaust will also help. That should put you in the 50-55mph range.

The manual says to run 15 psi in your tires. I also think that is to high. Maybe the 15 psi helps the tires slide while turning to prevent roll-over. 5psi I think is to low. Most quads run 5psi with the same size tires, but weigh much less. I run 10 psi to split the difference.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

The jets and exhaust won't increase top end, just how fast you get there. The speed is limited to the rev of the engine which is controlled by the cdi. For more top end you will need to get a new sheave. Or taller tires. More hp will just allow you to reach the rev limiter faster.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

I seldom top 45 in the woods anyway, I'd rather have quicker than faster [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

You will get more top end if you have the after market CDI; which LeroysRhino has, by adding more power you will add more top speed as long as you are not bouncing of the rev limiter. Not sure what that speed will be but it is higher than his current 46mph.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

GO TO BLACK RHINO .COM FOR BEST MODS OUT. THEIR CDI RAISES THE REVLIMITER AND GIVES YOU 52MPH ON THE GOV. I BET YOU GOT THE GRIZZLY CDI AND IT SUCS ARSS. ADD THE K@N INTAKE AND THE FULL EXAHUST AND YOU WILL BEAT STOCK RAPTOR 350'S IN A DRAG RACE NO PROB, MY LITTLE BRO HAS ONE AND HE CANT CATCH ME UNTIL HE SHIFTS OUT OF FOURTH.

HAPPY TRAILS

Old 10-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

All i did was put a CDI in from www.everythingoffroad.com and mine will run 53, and thats all iv'e done to it.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: yellowrider250ex
All i did was put a CDI in from www.everythingoffroad.com and mine will run 53, and thats all iv'e done to it.
thats where I got mine. only does 46 though. I heard if I put a Grizz sheave on ithe clutch I can get 55 out of it, but will that kill my low end torque? I climb a lot of real steep hills.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: MULEDESTROYER
GO TO BLACK RHINO .COM FOR BEST MODS OUT. THEIR CDI RAISES THE REVLIMITER AND GIVES YOU 52MPH ON THE GOV. I BET YOU GOT THE GRIZZLY CDI AND IT SUCS ARSS. ADD THE K@N INTAKE AND THE FULL EXAHUST AND YOU WILL BEAT STOCK RAPTOR 350'S IN A DRAG RACE NO PROB, MY LITTLE BRO HAS ONE AND HE CANT CATCH ME UNTIL HE SHIFTS OUT OF FOURTH.

HAPPY TRAILS
My nephews dad put a blackrhino box cdi in his rhino 660, It only tops out at 48..... and thats on the highway. Now the 52mph your talking about, is that with the k&n and exahust ?. Now i don`t know but i`ve heard a few guys talking about puting a modded sheave(sp) and 450 rhino clutch weights in.

Quick Reply: not impressed w/CDI box, what next?