General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rhino Stator questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Stator questions

Hi all,
I have been having charging problems lately with my 05 Rhino. I read that there is some issues with stators going on them. Well mine is not gone yet, because I still get a charge, but lately if I leave it sitting to long runs it will not have enough juice to start it. I realize this may just be the battery, but I have no idea what wattage I am asking the stator to put out. I have a winch, small fan, and a large stereo in it (not all running at the same time). My question is how do I measure the wattage coming from the stator? I think the stator puts out 225 watts, is that correct? And what do I add up for wattage usage? What does the Rhino use from factory? Thanks in advance for the help!
Dave

Old 12-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

There is no easy test or piece of information that can answer your question which is probably why nobody has answered yet.
If you know somebody with a clamp type Ammeter, you can use it to tell. Just clamp it over the negative battery cable and see if the readout ever shows a posative reading as opposed to a - reading. At idle it will read a negative reading like this
-3.5A
But as you raise the rpm it should eventually lose the negative(-) sign and start reading like this
3.5A
If you never lose the negative sign or you don't lose it untill the rpm is very high, either you have too much draw on the battery or your charging system is not performing up to capacity.
I woul say that your "big" sterio is taking all the amperage the system van put out. You may need an second battery and an isolator.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had to have mine (stator assembly) replaced at 9 months old and now am having the engine rebuilt, the air intake is poorly designed and does not work. The dealership said it was generalized wear, nothing I did or did not do. My 04 rhino is a huge disappointment. I wish you better luck than I have had.