Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

98 scrambler problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 scrambler problems

i have recently purchased a 98 scrambler that didnt run so when i got it home i checked compression 135 psi so that was good then noticed the stator and cdi box installed were the wrong style so i got the right ones then i had spark then i took carb apart and cleaned it and put a rebuild kit in it. the atv started and idled semi ok but when you hit the throttle it boggs down and sometimes dies or backfires so i took carb back apart and made sure it was clean about 15 times and made sure float was set right and then unhooked exhaust just to be sure there was no clogging that didnt help either.with spark tester light installed while running the light quits showing spark when you give it throttle and thats when it boggs and then dies or backfires so i took cover off of etc box and noticed that the only way this thing will start is if the little button on the switch is pushed in on the switch if you adjust it out to where i thought it should be and the button isnt clicked in then it wont start at all i have read different threads and im kind of confused on if the button should be pushed in or not at an idle. and what else do i check if thats not the problem i have worked on a fair share of atvs mostly polaris so im fairly familiar with them but this is really making me pull out what few hairs on my head i have left any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks installed new spark plug and air filter is new and new petcock also

Old 09-03-2015, 05:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Older model throttle levers had to be tighter with almost no slack at the thumb lever. Etc contacts had to touch on the older models.On later models the etc contacts couldn't touch or the machine would die. Try that first. Also disconnect the reverse limiter black wire as it can short out and limit even in forward range,plus on some the over ride button had to be pushed in to keep machines running when this happens. Module #31 in the parts break down. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus here's a video on an older etc switch.
If none of this helps,the problem may be stator or ignition system related. This is where a good manual can help with the trouble shooting guides and wiring schematic.DOWNLOAD 1996-1998 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ...

Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 98 scrambler

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Older model throttle levers had to be tighter with almost no slack at the thumb lever. Etc contacts had to touch on the older models.On later models the etc contacts couldn't touch or the machine would die. Try that first. Also disconnect the reverse limiter black wire as it can short out and limit even in forward range,plus on some the over ride button had to be pushed in to keep machines running when this happens. Module #31 in the parts break down. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus here's a video on an older etc switch.Polaris Scrambler Throttle Slack - YouTube
If none of this helps,the problem may be stator or ignition system related. This is where a good manual can help with the trouble shooting guides and wiring schematic.DOWNLOAD 1996-1998 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ...
Thanks for the reply the stator I put on the bike came off of a 97 scrambler which is a year older I guess I need to test the stator.i did try unhook ing the black wire but it didn't seem to make a difference.i will have to download that manual I have a manual that goes from 80 something polaris to 95 or 97 but have had a hard time finding a manual that covers more of just the 98 I will see what I can find out this weekend I will keep in touch thank you

Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

97,98 models show to use the same part numbered stators, exciter coils and flywheels. If you have a 97 manual the stator resistance specs should be same. No sense in buying another manual.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 98 sport 400L

I had same problem and ate a piston out through exsaust.
New Piston ran same way.
Pushed in Override in neutral gear. came back to life.
Disconnect Green wire under headlight.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by October
I had same problem and ate a piston out through exsaust.
New Piston ran same way.
Pushed in Override in neutral gear. came back to life.
Disconnect Green wire under headlight.
Green wire is for low beam lights,plus there is a green wire also from the limiter module to the over ride button. Over ride button goes directly to reverse limiter module. If it faults it can screw up ignition timing and cause problems. Better to just pull the black wire from the limiter and eliminate the module entirely.This way you can have full power in reverse without having to push the over ride. Piston seizures on exhaust side can also be caused by lean jetting,air leaks from crank seals, gaskets,etc.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:34 AM
Yz Blaster
Default scrambler 98

I just bought a scrambler 98 and got it running with a knew piston. I just took the etc switch and rev limiter off and it worked a lot better until the flywheel magnets broke after a few rides. The previous owner had not taken care of the machine, and he glued the broken magnets back together.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Common problem on these machines as they got older. Epoxy would weaken and magnets would fly off usually destroying stators in the process. Haven't seen a repaired one last for too long even repaired with 3M epoxy. If anyone needs one there's a NOS flywheel on ebay for 100 bucks that wont last long considering the cheapest I've found on one is over $300. Polaris 400 ATV Flywheel Magneto FF95 Brand New Part 3084784 | eBay

Old 12-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Yz Blaster
Default polaris scrambler

Do you think the flywheel from polaris parts house that is 320 dollars would last longer?

Old 12-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by pHenomenal
Do you think the flywheel from polaris parts house that is 320 dollars would last longer?
Shows to be oem not an aftermarket flywheel,if they even make an aftermarket flywheel for these old models?..Same as ordering directly from the dealer or online. nos is just new old parts that have been gathering dust and they're tying to get rid of it. From time to time we did the same thing in trying to clean out the parts room except we just put the list of parts that needed to be sold cheap on the counter. You'd be surprised how quick items would sell.