General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

rhino steering box defect

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rhino steering box defect

Has anybody here broken the steering box ( rack and pinion )? I broke 2 in one day. The first broke the shaft in half. I also bent the spindles and broke a tie rod end.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you fall into the Grand Canyon?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Ha, that's a good one P.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, I just don't drive like your mom!

Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

My mom never drove!Sounds like "King Kong" was driving yours!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Isn't this forum to talk about off road vehicles? I think you belong on Myspace or Craigslist. I wasn't being that hard on the Rhino. It just isn't made as well as I had hoped. The steering box is cast aluminum for crying out loud!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

OK! 'Nuff said,your not dising the Rhino.All I was implying is that most any vehicle can be torn up!Even the Rhino. My truck has a plastic brake fluid holder.The transfer case has an aluminum housing etc.etc. I would like to know how this SXS was torn up!What did you do to it to make hamburger out of the the steering box!How did you break the spindles? The reason I am asking,is I don't want this to happen to me............

Old 03-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wasn't jumping. I was driving in the baby dunes and was coming down a dune, got to the bottom and the dune went straight back up again. I heard a cracking or metal flexing noise. Both times it cracked on the passenger side. I spoke with Rhinocraft and they have heard of this before. Liberty Motorsports in Yuma had 7 steering boxes on hand that day and I got the last one @ 1:30 p.m. Why would they carry 7 if this was not common. The spindles may have bent from when I was getting towed back to camp. The wheels were just flopping freely and the truck was not taking it easy. My beef is that I had a $1800.00 150 cc go cart that took more abuse than my rhino. I love it. But, I will definitely be purchasing the aftermarket steering box once available in a month or so.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I do a lot of deer hunting in southern Alabama,and most of it is in creek bottoms,cut overs(were trees have been harvested) and dropped off in skidder ruts,which are two to three feet deep.Logs and limbs have been mastered by my Rhino.Going full tilt through a clear cut that hasn't been cleaned up will test the best vehicle ever made.Sticks and other dangerous lime stone rocks figure into the play also.... I have yet to break anything on the Rhino ....who knows,it may break next week, I did have a hunting camp owner tell me the best SXS built was a Polaris Ranger,he uses his to transport hunters all over camp.I use my equipment to its fullest,and I maintain it . Its hard for me to think that you have had so much problems with such little use as you have described....Just thing outloud!

Old 03-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

The reason I am having the problems is because I drive aggresively as if it were a quad. I realize that it is not what it was designed for however, it's 10 grand and a yamaha. It should be able to take it. The reason you havn't had this problem is because you drive it in a farm or wooded terrain like it was designed. You probably will never break anything. If you ever go to sand dunes, be very cautious. It breaks down to the vehicle being very heavy and the steering box not being strong enough to handle the weight. If you drive into a trench and your wheels get impacted forward to backwards you will more than likely break or bend a spindle, steering box, tie rod end, etc. Thanks for the discussion. Let me know if you hear of this problem.

Quick Reply: rhino steering box defect