General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

66 yr. old paraplegic in need of help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 yr. old paraplegic in need of help

I live on kind of rough desert land in Arizona, and have now been without the use of my legs for 2 1/2 years. The man next door gave me a 3 wheeled scooter machine for me to use. It has dumpted me so many times only 911 knows how many. At least 15!! After it dumps me it lays on top of me and drops its two batteries out on top of me to.
I am looking for some sort of a small ATV with hand controls and brakes. A little bigger than the kids use. Does anybody know of such a thing. I does not have to be electric like the jobber my neighbor gave me. I would like to be able to drive around and feed the animals and such so that my wife does not have so much work when she gets home from workl
Your help and time is appreciated

para boy

Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's your upper body strength?. Can you climb up and down into a Rhino or similar vehicle?. Do you need to carry your wheelchair with you?. I have cerebral palsy, and use a cane and a walker; so I need to carry mine.

If you can pull yourself up into one, I would look at a Kawasaki Mule or John Deere Gator. They both have bench seats and cargo boxes, have a top speed of 25 mph, are very reliable, and impossible to tip over. They also have steering wheels, CVT auto transmissions, and foot brake and throttle; so fitting hand controls would be easy.

If you want an atv type vehicle, look at Arctic Cat. They have their TBX models, which has a tilt cargo bed; CVT transmission, and hand throttle and brake like your three wheeler. The TBX's have been dropped for '08, but there are plenty of '07's around. For '08 they have the cargo box available across their atv line using their SpeedRack system, but it doesn't tilt.

Happy Shopping!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

They (atvs) pretty much have hand controls and brakes. Stick with the major manufacturers and you'll probably be OK with any of them. As HL mentioned; the UTVs would be ideal; as you'd be able to sidle right on up to anything you needed to work on without gettting off or leaning over quite as much (possibly).

Best of luck on your search.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

you can get a manual atv, and get a hand shifter that attaches to the foot shifter lever. cabelas carries them alnog with a bunch of other places, or you can make one it's simple. you can weld one, or you can take two wire coat hangers, bend them so they,re straight, wrap one end of each to the other, and take one end, and wrap atound the shifter tight so it stands up, and bend the other end into a handle and your set. good luck with you're search