General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Honda Big Red

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Big Red

Test drove a Big Red yesterday at the dealer and:

Pros -

Very well engineered, solidly built
Doors are better designed than the competition
Both front and rear differentials have a cable-operated lock
In my opinion, looks better than the website photos indicate
Feels more substantial than competitors, and IS! (but heavy)
As we know, NO belt! A big plus. Rincon drive train.

Cons -

Definitely a one-lung "thumper", idle and low RPM's are rough
EVERYTHING is an option, even the glove box door, floor mat, and instrumentation
Transmission shifts 1-2 with a lurch, did not get to speed for 2-3 test
Hard to start, possibly a glitch or a primitive EFI system?
Fuel gauge on the filler cap, how basic!
Safety net is a pain! (Everybody will be taking this off. Ridiculous!)
Seats uncomfortable - a personal opinion

Questions -

Did not notice a tranny oil cooler. Integrated with the radiator?
What is source of air intake? Appears to be under passenger seat?

Note - My dealer is only allocated ONE a month for three months, don't plan on any discounts just yet... It will be a miracle if the Big Red survives against the competition. It doesn't hold a candle to the recreational machines, so it must be intended for the Mule/RTV900 class, possibly against the Ranger. Honda is behind the curve, as one person commented, an "Edsel" among side-by-sides.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Big Red

Nuke: For some reason, I knew you would say"Hard to start"!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda Big Red

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pwillie

Nuke: For some reason, I knew you would say"Hard to start"!</end quote></div>

Hmmm, you have me pegged correctly as a perfectionist. However, was disappointed, as this behavior is not typical of EFI. Also started, several times, a RZR, and was successful on the first crank every time. So, it may be time to seriously look at other brands, probably between Rhino, RZR, or Prowler. (recommendation?) The Teryx is out, with carburetors, but this may change in the near future. The RZR is attractive, as it will go on ATV trails forbidden to wider machines.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Range Rover
Default Honda Big Red

i dont like that they called it the big red. cuz i own that three wheeler. but i probably wouldnt buy the big red. Im a honda fan but the big red is like the new sport atv with irs by honda. Honda has never made a utv before.. Like the new irs sport bike isnt made the best. its too heavy.. that my 2 cents..

Old 09-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda Big Red

Well, as much as I came down hard on the Big Red, going to pick one up tomorrow. Did a test drive, looked again closely at the competition, even drove a RZR, but came back to the Big Red for my needs. Understand, at age 66 my uses are utility around the place, exploring old roads in the backcountry, and the best in reliability (this old man doesn't want to hike out when a belt breaks!). If I were younger and wishing all out performance, it would probably have been a RZR or the upcoming Arctic Cat 1000.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Big Red

Nuke, I can understand your concern with a belt drive,but I owned a Rincon,and was not happy with the tranny.I don't know if the Big Reds tranny is intergrated with the same oil as the engine(Rincon) but I don't want any thing with a engine tranny using the same oil system.I have had my Rhino,and have had no problems.I would like to see Yamaha or Suzuki build a ute with a gear driven tranny and a FI engine,but cost probably prohibits that move.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda Big Red

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pwillie

Nuke, I can understand your concern with a belt drive,but I owned a Rincon,and was not happy with the tranny.I don't know if the Big Reds tranny is intergrated with the same oil as the engine(Rincon) but I don't want any thing with a engine tranny using the same oil system.I have had my Rhino,and have had no problems.I would like to see Yamaha or Suzuki build a ute with a gear driven tranny and a FI engine,but cost probably prohibits that move.</end quote></div>

I suspect the Big Red drive train is the same as the Rincon, possibly geared a tad lower. Yes, have read some posts regarding poor operation when the oil is cold. Did you use synthetic oil? If so, what grade?

Old 04-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

the big red is awesome. i had 2 08 rhino 700's and sold one the other day after test driving the big red. i do not regret it one bit. goes all the same places and the cab is way bigger. the side nets keep the branches out of your face and are very handy and easy to use. the tranny is awesome, just like a car, no revving waiting on a belt. i have 26" itp xtr tires and it goes awesome. even on our tighter trails i thought i might not make it but it went easily. i would highly reccommend test driving one before buying a different one. just my 2 cents, the top speed is 40 mph according to the digital dash speedometer so it is righ there with the rhino. i have no complaints yet.