General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Mammoth Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mammoth Help

I Have just recently boought the Kazuma Mammoth 800, Nice little machine works great, i have had a few issues

When Driving at high speeds it pops out of gear and back in again, has done this since new, if i replace this will it solve the problem?

The machine seems to run hot, i tried looking for a thermastat but found nothing, why does it run hot and how can i fix this? even at idle it gets warm

i have had a oil leak behind the clutch and fly wheel, if anyone needs help i know how to fix it

Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mammoth Help

my new mammoth is doing the same thing.it will slip at slower speeds if engin is under a load.called the tech rep today and he said it could be as simple as the linkage needs adjusted.possibly a gear prob in the transmission or the trans in general. im hope'n its the linkage

Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mammoth Help

Hey,
Just a thought, have you checked the connect plug to the radiator fan? I had no problems with my Joyner for a couple of months and all of a sudden it heated up. I crawled under the front and a stick had poped up under the front deck and pushed the plug apart. Reconnected it and no further problems.

hope this is all you have!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mammoth Help

the fan does come on and cool the engine don but the motor gets too hot when its not even working , i would hate to see what happens after winter and its hotter in the summer and run into a major problem

Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mammoth Help

i seen on here somplace that someone suggested to change the coolant that they thought it was too thick ? i guess sillyer things have happened. let us know what u find......im in the same boat

Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mammoth Help

I was told from the guy that sells them to hardwire the fan right to the ignition so when the key is on the fan automatically turns on, another thing to do is just put a differnt coolant temp guage in, he is looking to see why it pops in and out of gear,

Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mammoth Help

Cleod99:

Ah I found your forum. According to some folks it's easy to get air into your cooling system and hard to bleed it out, once it is bleed properly it should tqake care of the heating issue (if that's the problem). I purchased the "Overheat" kit from Mammoth (Cooper Classic Cars) in VT. He has a good web site and has always offered good help when I've called him (802) 645-9100. I wouldn't hard wire the fan you've got a problem and that's not fixing what's wrong. The kit also re-calibrates the tempreture gauge also. I suppose the fan belt is tight? So the water pump is runnig at the correct speed?

I haven't experienced the jumping out of gear but it does sound like a cable adjustment issue. I had to adjust the locking differental cable to get it to engage. And I have checked the 4 wheel drive cable since to make sure it's engaged completely.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mammoth Help

Thanks Dave, i am working on hte cooling system right now, i will end up getting that kit, for the popping out of gear issue i am not to sure what to do, as the cable is tight and looks like a transfer case issue

Old 01-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Default Mammoth Help

Most of the time the popping out of gear is caused by you not fully engaging that gear with the shifter even though the light may indicate that you have. The light might be out of adjustment along with the gear select cable. You need to correct this promptly or you might damage the gear locks ( http://www.kazuma.com/Parts/Important_Notice.asp ) The adjustment is under the hood on the cable just below the shift handle. I have adjusted mine by placing the transmission solidly in reverse with the cable disconnected at the transmission. I then adjust the cable to where the threaded pin on that end of the cable at the transmission can be connected without pushing or pulling the transmission lever arm. By doing this you can ensure a full engagement of reverse and high gear at each end of the travel of the shift handle. Once this is done then you can adjust the the shift position indicator switch to correspond with the gears you will now be properly engaging. As a note to remember, there is a "click" feel in the shift handle when you are in each shift position if you have a smooth operating cable. If you do not fully or properly engage the low or high gear setting, the transmission will pop out of gear.

To properly purge the air out of the cooling system put the mammoth in neutral, set the parking brake and jack the front end as high as you can off the ground. Or face uphill on a steep incline. Run the engine full of coolant and let it warm up. Then slowly open the coolant valve on the frame just to the rear of the carb. It will spit out the air then flow coolant. If you still show high temp on the gauge but the top radiator hose is not that hot then you have an inproperly calibrated temp gauge. I put a mechanical temp gauge probe in the top hose of mine and it rarely shows more than 170 degrees. I also put a 180 thermostat in the engine to slow the water down to cool more efficiently. The only downside to doing all this is that the fan runs more often.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mammoth Help

Hello i am still having the same problem it is poping out of gear inside the transfercase/transmission, when being dragged from behind the linkage doesnt move and it pops out of gear if that makes sense? its fine in low and reverse, just it will move in high speed but once your going down the road and giving it throttle it pops out?

Quick Reply: Mammoth Help