General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

What are good Winch Brands?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are good Winch Brands?

I've run across several brands of winches for ATVs and UTVs, and most have comparable costs. Can anyone provide advice about brands and sizes to consider and which to avoid?

Thanks, Jim

Old 01-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ramsey and Warn are the best, also the most expensive. I buy the biggest that will fit. When I need it, I need it to work and have enough power! Synthetic rope should be a consideration as well.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
DCT
Banned

Yep, I think you put the odds in your favor by choosing Warn or Ramsey. Not cheap... but you get what you pay for.

As far as size goes... depends on the quad. You don't want to put an extreme load on your battery with every crank of the winch. I would think a 3000 Lb winch would handle just about any situation you will come up against.

I would also recommend the synthetic rope, a machined fairlead, a good rock sheath, and a winch guard.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

Why consider synthetic? I would think the stranded metal cable would be longer lasting.

Jim

Old 01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Actually synthetic lasts longer, is stronger and does not store energy, so it is safer. It is especially nice if you plow snow as the steel cables break easily with the continued up and down motion. You will find many people realizing the benefits of the synthetic over the cable and are making the switch. It would just be cheaper for you now than later.

Also, you didn't mention the application for the winch. I agree with DCT, 3000lb should suffice for any atv, but for the utv I would go with a minimum 4000lb. I stuffed a Ramsey 5000lb Honcho on my Rhino. It pulled me out of some of the deepest mud holes I have ever encountered with no problems. The worst one was as deep as my bed, I had to dig to get to the buried winch!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your input.... I'll take a serious look at synthetic cable. Am considering Viper brand at the moment, but realize that better (and more expensive) makes are out there. This will see little use, so I hope the few dollars saved will not be a mistake.

By the way, Firehog, I did a little time in SE Asia about 40 years ago. Your logo brings back disturbing memories!

Jim

Old 01-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about the avatar, I changed it for you.

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about Viper winches. There is both good and bad. What I haven't heard is that they are overpriced! LOL! If I were to use mine only for plowing or work, not for self recovery, then I wouldn't hesitate to buy one as they are inexpensive and if it breaks you're not stranded. Just remember one thing, no one plans to use a winch, it is insurance! LOL!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

Firehog.... Thanks much for your input, and it wasn't necessary to change your avatar just for me! I just happened to watch a monk set himself on fire in a Siagon protest many years ago; Not a pretty sight, but something that sure stays with you!

Hope you have a great New Year!

Jim

Old 01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

i use, recomend viper winches for 2+years now. the problems come if you buy one off of ebay instead from the manufacturer...

http://motoalliance.com/ atleast half the price of warn, good warrenty and mounting kit. i love mine and the only problem iv had with it was operator error lol

Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a Viper MX4000. It was pretty easy to install except I got the wireless switch so I had a lot of extra parts; that slowed me down a little but a phone call to tech support straightened me right out. The wireless switch was almost worth the price just because it makes it a lot easier to wire up. You only hook the 4 large cables to the battery and winch. You don't have to break into the vehicle wiring, which probably isn't that difficult. Anybody need a contactor with wired remote and handlebar switch?

Quick Reply: What are good Winch Brands?