General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

SxS VS ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SxS VS ATV?

Hi,
I'm wondering about a few things, when it comes to extreme terrain, mud, water, snow, hill climbs, how does a SxS stack up against an ATV. I have the 800 polaris and was thinking for the family I need a 3 seater, so the new Ranger 800 looks appealing, it seems to have the PXT radials too, so good tire. I'm wondering if this thing could go where an ATV goes, could it follow me without getting stuck all the time, is it equal in off road capability, you hear alot of things, but I wonder if they can really?
I know one big issue would be the width as an ATV is alot narrower, but for deep mud and Snow, could it follow.

My last question is, are they that much harder on gas then an ATV, my 800 can get between 70-80 miles on 4 gallons with a mix of riding, which is not that bad.

Thanks for any info. Any comparisent would be good ATV VS SxS.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will they do everything a 4-wheeler will? Heck no, and they won't get there as fast either, but they are very off-road capable and certainly capable of hauling more people and gear while going 95% of the places a 4-wheeler will. It all depends what you want out of the vehicle. Personally, I want to tote family and friends, so it's worth the trade-offs for me.

They're nice to have at the local race track pits, too!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have a heck of a time in deep snow but other than that they can go almost anywhere a quad can. The width does limit you but they are a lot of fun. The family would love it. They do decently on gas. They are a lot heavier so it will naturally use more.