General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

New to 4 wheelin home made UTV theories...

Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so does that mean that somewhere there is the possibility of straight mounting a geared trans from a 4 wheeler or are they all cvt if they have a reverse? in that pic it has a shaft going from the front (i would assume is the 4wd) and one coming from the side(I would assume is the input drive shaft) but we all know what assuming does lol

Old 10-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

2008 700 Polaris Sportsman Transmission Transfer Case Rear Differential 4x4 N R | eBay

13 Polaris RZRS RZR 4 Transmission Transfer Case Complete New 1 | eBay

Found these 2 links and figured that they would be perfect. the one for the rzr is brand spankin and im pretty sure it can handle the power but it doesnt make much sense to me,,i only see 2 shafts one would be input and one would be output but where do the cv shafts go for the rear drive??

the polaris 700 one looks absolutely perfect for what I am doing but I wonder if it is cv belt driven ie is the cv belt enclosed on this unit or is it connected with a cv belt via one of the shafts on the one pictured, if so a chain and a sprocket will mount right up as well. im getting excited now. a strong tranny and a 1000 cc plus busa cbr gsxr motor will pack quite a wallop. just dunno if the reverse is included in what I am looking at on the polaris 700 unit.

Also heard of guys buying junked suzuki samuri's and modding them hacking off all the weight but the place i go only allows atv,utv so i must stay small

Old 10-20-2012, 06:51 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

been here & done this 10 years ago- custom karts, modified yerfdog karts, atv / kart hybrids... even turned a vw jetta into a trail buggy- they were fun in the grass and on a dirt road, but not in a wooded trail 75 miles from camp!

you'll never fab an atv that's more reliable, comfortable or that performs as well as just buying a decent used one that some engineer and a major manufacturer spent years designing, testing, researching ergonomics and building- you'll spend more money collecting parts in the long run.
cvt''s are just about as reliable as anything else- cars now have'em, sleds have had'em just about forever and every big-bore atv (except honda) uses them.

are you trying to build an atv or an off road jeep for rock climbing?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just want it for the mud.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mercuno
So, lets put the brain trust together and see if we cant theoretically build a cheap homemade utv. thanks guys and I do look forward to your thoughts.

I think you'd probably save yourself a lot of time if you bought yourself a cheap sport quad, and salvaged parts off of that to stick in a homemade frame. Doesn't sound cheap

Old 10-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

been doing lots of research this morning and found out you could use mazda miata IRS and diff and cv shafts and a arms. if you had to use a chain you could just run it to a sprocket attached to the left side cv shaft.

if you went with a shaft setup you could mount the motor sideways and run a shaft to the diff and run a jack leg shaft to the front diff. which would be another diff flipped over.

I went to the junkyard and can get the whole front and back suspension and drive components for 350 dollars.

the only costly thing I cant seem to get around yet is the reverse. there are multiple reputable companies that sell an inline reverse but they range from 1500 to 2500 dollars leaving you with a geared starter motor for reverse---no good for mudding IMO.

so realistically the frame materials would run me in the range of 5-750 dollars
the suspension and diffs 300
tires 800
motor 1500
reverse kit 2000
gears cogs screws misc 800
steering components 500

6700 dollars

leaving me about 5-6000 dollars for margin of error before I touch the cost of a decked out rzr and guaranteed to be made of stronger materials all around with over 150 horses.

even if it takes me 3 years to build it, I will have fun doing it and will be the coolest cat at the mud nats.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you get all that done, I'd love to see pictures of it. Good luck. Seems like you have the know-how.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

can you say chopped up suzuki samurai. 1300cc engine and all of the components required with reverse lol. just gotta setup independent suspensions and hack hack away

Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Now, that sounds intriguing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to 4 wheelin home made UTV theories...