General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

best utv

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep your comments track with a lot of others I have heard. but like given the choice of taking a cold shower or waiting till the water heater warms up, I will wait. I just can't bring myself to wanting to try a Polaris. Sorry, as you know, I have not been critical of them, Just that I can't do it. I agree with you on the Yamaha. I have had carb problems with it. If I religiously turn off the gas and run the carb bowl dry, I have no problems. But I let my son ride it, and he didn't do the usual, and now I am facing a carb rebuild session. I love my Honda Rubicon too, but it has it's own set of problems. Considering that Yamaha created the class of UTV's with the Rhino, at the time, they were the best thing since bread and butter. Obviously things have evolved. And needs changed. For a little work machine, the rhino was OK. It could push snow all winter, haul stuff all summer, even act as a second tractor on many occasions. The Viking looks like it will also be a player in that market. Which honestly, I feel Honda and Yamaha have intentionally stayed out of the sport arena for a good reason. Looking at pure numbers, that is where they position themselves and I doubt that they could afford to take on the sport market and expect to make any market share inroads. I don't know, it is all moot anyway. I am just glad we get to ride and all can enjoy ourselves on the trails and not worry about what is under our butts.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're in Virginia, near DC. I'm live in the southwest desert. So we're going to see a different representation of UTVs when we go to our typical riding areas. On a busy weekend, like this weekend, at Glamis, you can easily see 500 UTVs in a weekend. Of that 500 UTVs, about 470 of them are going to be Polaris UTVs, and the other 30 UTVs are going to be a mix of Can Am, Arctic Cat, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and all the other brands put together. I have noticed that all of those Polaris UTVs are out there being ridden, and enjoyed by their owners. They aren't parked in camp being worked on. Polaris clearly sets the bar when it comes to UTVs. That doesn't mean they are the best for everyone though. I'm kind of late coming to Polaris' camp. Years ago I didn't like Polaris at all, and we had a garage full of Honda's, then a garage full of Yamaha's, then a garage full of Can Am ATV's. Now we've got one Can Am left, and seem to be collecting Polaris machines.