General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Side x Side rookie

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side x Side rookie

I've been into ATV's for years and never really paid attention to side x sides. I've decided to sell everything and me & the Mrs are going to get a SxS and roll together. Looking for opinions and experience with some of these. I dont want a pure racer, i.e. dunes, desert, and I also dont want a farm rig either. Something with a little giddy-up on open terrain but I could also connect a snow plow if need be. Thinking the Rhino but dont want to leave anything unconsidered or researched before spending a lot of money. Throw me ideas.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

the models that are for most farming would be the polaris rangers,arctic cat prowler(HDX),honda big red, can-am commander and kawasaki tyrex is half and half i think,kubota,bobcat. some of these can be ridden trail and recreation if you really wanted to but the may sit higher and wider than others. For a tril riding type rig the polaris RZR is the only 50" wide sxs there is and is sporty. There are also wider versions like the rzr"S",and 900xp. arctic cat offers the wildcat,but most will agree its more for duning and rock crawling. can am has the maveric out now which is gonna be the fastest sxs period. then you have the yamaha rhino which is good all around machine. Ill have to say,not too many buying the rhino in my area anymore. Yamaha hasnt changed a thing on them for years and others are making new models. so everyone seems to want updated rigs. nothing wrong with the rhino though ,its proven.

Some of these makers make 4 seaters *** well. Polaris,kawasaki,and i think the new can am maverick will have a 4 seater(what i heard)

not sure where you live and this may help narrow your search but, if there is a law that requires you to have a 50" or less machine in your area then there is only one option,the polaris rzr 570 or 800. These are the only 2 models that are 50" wide.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Mudslinginfool hit it on the head. Polaris RZR has the only 50" SXS so if you have trails with narrow gates it's the only way to go. They make it in the 570 and 800. If you don't have any trail restrictions the sporty SXSs are the Polaris RZRs, Can-Am Maverick, and Arctic Cat Prowler. The Teryx is a good go between. Not great at either end but a good compromise for both sporty riding and a little bit of work related use. The rest are pretty much utility machines that do fine on the trails too. Just not made for fast and furious riding.

Another thought is 2-Up quads. Can-Am makes the Outlander Max in 400, 500, 650, 800, and 1000 cc machines. Polaris makes the Touring in 500, 550, and 850. Not too up on Arctic Cats. Polaris also makes the Sportsman X2 550. It has a dump box on the back that converts to a passenger seat in 10 seconds. Great all around machine. Just some more food for thought.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

We live in western Washington and it snows just enough to make it a pain in the butt to get in and out of my driveway. We plan on traveling to the southwest (Moab), Idaho (St Anthony) when I retire with an occasional trip to the dunes in Oregon. We want to start hitting more open trails & roads. I guess what I invision is something with enough muscle so I wont be bored on the dunes or trails, but can then plow snow down my drive to check the mail. How are the RZR 800's for all around recreational & work use?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

The only drawback to the RZR 800 is that the bed isn't huge compared to UTVs like the Ranger, Can-Am Commander, Honda Big Red, Kawasaki Mule, Kawasaki Teryx, and Yamaha Rhino. It is more sport oriented and can carry a decent amount of weight. But, it doesn't have a dumping box like the UTVs and the area is about 1/3 the size of some of the bigger UTVs. You can plow with it without any problems. Recreation where you have size limited trails is where the RZR shines. RZR would be a lot more fun in the dunes than the bigger boys too.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
The only drawback to the RZR 800 is that the bed isn't huge compared to UTVs like the Ranger, Can-Am Commander, Honda Big Red, Kawasaki Mule, Kawasaki Teryx, and Yamaha Rhino. It is more sport oriented and can carry a decent amount of weight. But, it doesn't have a dumping box like the UTVs and the area is about 1/3 the size of some of the bigger UTVs. You can plow with it without any problems. Recreation where you have size limited trails is where the RZR shines. RZR would be a lot more fun in the dunes than the bigger boys too.
agreed. heres a couple videos showing the newest big bore sxs going at it in the dunes or out west just incase your curious on these models..

Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Great videos. Got to get out there someday...

Old 01-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

im with ya there moose. Id love to ride the rocks someday. Im not too much into dunes we have a small place here in missouri that is sand and id rather be on the trails. You cant always go by videos but it gives an idea of what each machine can do. alot depends on drivers,tires,weight,ect...

Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Just curious regarding SxS versus ATV riders. I am really running into a bunch of negative feelings from ATV riders over SxS riding on the same trails. Also, I thought ATV owners were brand bigots, SxS guys are even worse. Anyone else out there experiencing the same thing?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Haven't really had anyone complaining. Most of the guys who get side by sides up here in New England get the RZR 570, or 800. Even ride with a couple guys who drive RZRs. There are some trails, mostly in NH, that are limited to 50" or less so the RZR is the only SxS right now that works. Maine, especially in the north, is a little more wide open so even larger SxSs work.

Quick Reply: Side x Side rookie