General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Side x Side rookie

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Just curious regarding SxS versus ATV riders. I am really running into a bunch of negative feelings from ATV riders over SxS riding on the same trails. Also, I thought ATV owners were brand bigots, SxS guys are even worse. Anyone else out there experiencing the same thing?
What are those ATV riders saying?

Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Mostly I see one brand of SxS going up against another. Ok, if it is friendly that is OK, but I actually witnessed at a recent SxS event a bunch of Razor guys attacking verbally a driver with another make and it kind of set me off. Especially when the sponsor of the event was one of the most vocal. It soured me on ever returning to that establishment. In a time when camp grounds are trying to expand their offerings, it just sounded counter to what the sport is all about.

As for ATV's vs SxS, there seems to be an underlying feeling sometimes. Kind of a disgusted look you get when passing etc. I own and ride both. So it is confusing to say the least.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

What a difference a model year makes eh? CanAm has more Sxs models than carter has pills these days. I have compared the commander and Mavericks. I like the commander still because it is now narrowed to fit the 60 inch rule that seems to be the standard being adopted. And with the max, you get the 4 seat capability. Which is great for when I take the grandsons out, but for just me and Mrs DB, it is a bit much. I have looked at Yamaha's and Honda's new offerings too. I like the concept Honda, but damn they are almost as ugly as Big Red. The viking is kind of nice. Although sitting in one of them, and a Commander, the CanAm wins hands down. At 6'2" and 280 lbs, my shoulders would bang anyone attempting to sit in that third seat on teh yamaha. To me, it is taking up the space where my Remington 700 SPS would sit in it's rack. Not to mention the beverage cooler. But the Yamaha is far and away a better choice over the honda, on looks if nothing else.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New to the ATV/UTV world

I've always been into rock crawling, i have a built 4runner and most my buddies have jeeps or other built toyotas but i've recently gained more of an interest in UTVs and RZRs and I just want to know more about them! What are people favorite models, least favorite? What about them is customizable and what are some common after market things people do to them. I wanna know everything about them

Old 09-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Well it has been some time since I comment last on this thread. Honda has come out with a new 5 passenger 1000 CC brute that is really Nice. Even better, it isn't as ugly as the old one. To answer your question is going to be lengthy, so sit down. First, how are you going to use one? You indicated you like rock bouncing. Well, I know I am going to catch hell for saying this, but I don't know of any that are going to stand up to rock bouncing on a regular basis to the degree you may be used to with a full sized vehicle. I personally feel you will be busting parts at an alarming rate and get totally frustrated with anything you buy. Why? Well think about it. You take 3 or 4 people in a jeep off road and you have a good time bouncing around and snap, something breaks. You do the same thing on something made from much lighter materials, and probably has a higher HP to weight ratio and things are gonna break. I think you will find that they do what they are designed for very well, that you can have a ton of fun in them, but they are NOT built for your typical rock trail. I know a lot of guys who have a blast in the sand, off road on man made trails, and some that you would swear were submarines or mud hogs with them, and they all break parts. But rocks are so unforgiving, and they just don't have the experience with rock crawling under their belts for the aftermarket to put $ ad time into developing the specialized parts you will need. Just my humble opinion. As for brands. Razors are neat as hell, but many guys tell you they are throw a ways. Can-Am owners beat on them and break parts. AND they are expensive. Honda and Yamaha until yesterday were relegated to more mundane rancher/farm implement usage. I say until yesterday... because as of 1 Sept, they just announced one that is a mixture of Dune buggy, desert racer/rallye racer all in one. It is too new to say how well it holds up, but if looks and the factory release videos are anything... that thing will be awesome. The kind of machine we all want to own. Expensive, in the 20Plus grand range... but awesome. I am really considering pulling the trigger. Been saving for a maverick, but this thing may make me do the payment thing again...

Old 09-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is customizable, everything. Tires and wheels of course, exhaust, seats, doors, roof, axles shocks, windshields. That is only the start. You have 50" tight trail models right up to 64" desert and dune racers that push well over 100hp and a 20k price tag. Living on the east coast, I am not really into rock crawling, but I know a lot of guys are and do use these. Breaking stuff is part of offroading, tons of YouTube vids that can show you what these are capable of. I would suggest a lot of research before purchase. I can also tell you these things are a hoot if you get one that fits what you want to do with it.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I would personally prefer one of the 50" models as it would be more versatile and fit on the same trails as quads do. I would pick the Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail as I think it is the best 50" model out there. Its probably as quick and fast or faster than my Grizzly and that's plenty fast enough for me. I think the Wildcat Trail tops out at around 65 mph.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I think I would personally prefer one of the 50" models as it would be more versatile and fit on the same trails as quads do. I would pick the Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail as I think it is the best 50" model out there. Its probably as quick and fast or faster than my Grizzly and that's plenty fast enough for me. I think the Wildcat Trail tops out at around 65 mph.
Sure, and I think they have 50" or less trail in Utah, but I am pretty sure they also have some technical trail that only allows the wider units for safety. If I was looking to rock crawl I would want something wider than 50". Longer arms, more and plusher suspension travel, better ground clearance and stability, etc.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Sure, and I think they have 50" or less trail in Utah, but I am pretty sure they also have some technical trail that only allows the wider units for safety. If I was looking to rock crawl I would want something wider than 50". Longer arms, more and plusher suspension travel, better ground clearance and stability, etc.
I've seen some rock crawling videos of trails in Moab. Full-size Wildcats do an amazing job on those. Probably some of the most capable rock crawling vehicles you can buy. Tons of suspension travel, full diff lock, a great low range and the 64" width make them ideal for that type of terrain. The longer wheelbase helps too.