General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

your honest opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Specta

Google Polaris recalls.

A good friend of mine was riding in a group in Idaho July 3rd 2018.

This is what's left of one of the RZRs in the group. I know its not a Ranger but its still a Polaris.

They've had recall after recall. They will cut every corner possible to save a buck at your expense.

I've had 2 Polaris ATVs, both 2012s. One was a piece of **** and the other wasn't far behind.

I will NEVER own a Polaris and I would never recommend one to anybody.

Every manufacturer has had recalls and other issues. Polaris didn't become one of the 500 largest corporations in the US for no reason. I live and work in the middle east with the US military. They have thousands of Polaris machines that are abused by a different person every day and maintained hardly at all. They are still the best brand here. The Kawi's and other brands aren't liked and are the last to be used when given the option.

Disclaimer: I personally have never owed a Polaris nor have I ever owned Polaris stock

Old 07-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had two and I would never own another one.

Polaris catching on fire has been an ongoing problem for them since 2013.

They were fined over $27,000,000 dollars over the fires.

Numerous people have died because of these things catching fire.

Just because you sell the most doesn't make you the best.

A 15 year old boy was killed in a 2018 RZR when it caught fire.

https://www.injuryrelief.com/blog/po...l-fire-hazard/

So these things have been catching on fire for 6 years now and to tell me one of the 500 largest companies isn't capable of fixing the problem??

Every new RZR should come with free body bags.

You buy one. I'll keep my Kawasaki.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

We had good experiences with Polaris but I've been on later, more recent machines and they don't feel as good. More vibration, looser fitting panels, more clunking sounds. I'm thankful my son's Scrambler seems good. He loves the thing. Haven't ridden in the past few years with the RZR crowd I used to hook up with every so often. Haven't seen one burn or broken down either. They are the highest selling unit out there. Once again, these are only my observations. Could have totally different experience. My GMC Sierra 2500 HD that I owned from 2003 to 2010 was by far the worst vehicle I've ever owned. Nothing but problems that totaled over $9000 in extra expense. Specta's GM treats him well with no major issues. Had a Ford Super Duty diesel and that was almost as bad. I talk to a lot of other truck owners and most have never had the issues I had. Maybe I got Monday or Friday trucks. When I contacted GM and Ford about all the problems I had they basically ignored me and tried to sell me a new truck with a whole $1000 off the sticker. Big whoop. They will probably never see me as a customer again. It's sad that in both industries there seems to be lemons that the companies take there sweet time about correcting issues. All of the above are capable of producing machines with zero problems.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I've had two and I would never own another one.

Polaris catching on fire has been an ongoing problem for them since 2013.

They were fined over $27,000,000 dollars over the fires.

Numerous people have died because of these things catching fire.

Just because you sell the most doesn't make you the best.

A 15 year old boy was killed in a 2018 RZR when it caught fire.

https://www.injuryrelief.com/blog/po...l-fire-hazard/

So these things have been catching on fire for 6 years now and to tell me one of the 500 largest companies isn't capable of fixing the problem??

Every new RZR should come with free body bags.

You buy one. I'll keep my Kawasaki.

You can keep your pos kawi - they are known here as the worst to have, and these are by people who have multiple choices to choose from.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
We had good experiences with Polaris but I've been on later, more recent machines and they don't feel as good. More vibration, looser fitting panels, more clunking sounds. I'm thankful my son's Scrambler seems good. He loves the thing. Haven't ridden in the past few years with the RZR crowd I used to hook up with every so often. Haven't seen one burn or broken down either. They are the highest selling unit out there. Once again, these are only my observations. Could have totally different experience. My GMC Sierra 2500 HD that I owned from 2003 to 2010 was by far the worst vehicle I've ever owned. Nothing but problems that totaled over $9000 in extra expense. Specta's GM treats him well with no major issues. Had a Ford Super Duty diesel and that was almost as bad. I talk to a lot of other truck owners and most have never had the issues I had. Maybe I got Monday or Friday trucks. When I contacted GM and Ford about all the problems I had they basically ignored me and tried to sell me a new truck with a whole $1000 off the sticker. Big whoop. They will probably never see me as a customer again. It's sad that in both industries there seems to be lemons that the companies take there sweet time about correcting issues. All of the above are capable of producing machines with zero problems.

We had three brand new 'yota suv's here at work. All three had major problems and we ended up getting rid of all of them. One had the engine replaced, one had tranny issues, and one had major electrical issues. We got rid of all three with less than 1000 kilometers on them. Meanwhile we have had the same F150 for going on 2 years; and the F150 get abused more than any other vehicle. Same a-hole drivers but with more power it gets more gas pedal abuse; better ride than the 'yotas or nissans so abused more in rough terrain; more cargo space so more abuse with over weight cargo, etc, etc, etc... And here in the extreme heat (115+) the F150 puts out better ac, too....

Old 07-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
You can keep your pos kawi - they are known here as the worst to have, and these are by people who have multiple choices to choose from.

8000 trouble free miles and counting.

Oh wait!!!!!! I had to replace the battery. You're right. It must be a POS.

Like I've posted before. I speak from personal experience.

I don't see that you have owned either one.

In 5 years they haven't been able to figure out how to keep them from catching fire and killing someone. That's impressive all by itself.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
We had three brand new 'yota suv's here at work. All three had major problems and we ended up getting rid of all of them. One had the engine replaced, one had tranny issues, and one had major electrical issues. We got rid of all three with less than 1000 kilometers on them. Meanwhile we have had the same F150 for going on 2 years; and the F150 get abused more than any other vehicle. Same a-hole drivers but with more power it gets more gas pedal abuse; better ride than the 'yotas or nissans so abused more in rough terrain; more cargo space so more abuse with over weight cargo, etc, etc, etc... And here in the extreme heat (115+) the F150 puts out better ac, too....
I would have considered trying their brands again with a different vehicle if they didn't treat me like they did. If they had offered 4-5k off a new truck I might have given it a try. It was pretty insulting to me to hear them offer me a whopping $1000 off sticker price. I could do better than that just coming in off the street.

In my case I bought a 2010 Nissan Titan. It was a great truck. Maybe a few hundred dollars of wear and tear items. Never let me down or left me stranded. Traded it in with almost 90,000 miles on it. Been wanting the Nissan Titan with the diesel since they introduced it. It's honestly about the most American made truck out there. Cummins turbo diesel, Aisan transmission, and the rest of the truck made in the USA from almost all US sourced parts. We'll see how it holds up. I know it does better off road than all my previous trucks. Had a chance to lock in the rear diff, put it in 4w low, hill climb and descent mode, and it chugged up a challenging hill without a single slip. It was crawling up so slowly I shifted up a gear. Between the diesel and gearing it's a mountain goat for such a big truck. Again, we'll see. As said before, my observation has been that what happens to me doesn't always happen to others and vice versa. Even personal experience doesn't count much but to me. If I hear a bunch of reports about something, then I start listening. The 900 and 1000 RZRs of the last few years have had many fires and complaints. I wouldn't buy one now, personally.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

8000 trouble free miles and counting.

Oh wait!!!!!! I had to replace the battery. You're right. It must be a POS.

Like I've posted before. I speak from personal experience.

I don't see that you have owned either one.

In 5 years they haven't been able to figure out how to keep them from catching fire and killing someone. That's impressive all by itself.
I'd consider that pretty reliable. Where we are, it doesn't matter how good a machine is. There is so much mud that bearings tend to last a lot less longer than in other climates. The worst is the clay based mud as it's really fine grains that get into everything once the clay dries. Nasty but fun. Just the price for having many good days out in the woods.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Can Am population is growing fast out here.

I'm the only Kawasaki in my group and the rest are 650-800 Can Am Max's.

One of my friends has a 2014 800 Max with well over 20,000 miles and I think the biggest expense was a new front driveshaft.

I think it needs the Visco-Lok in the front diff replaced. Its not very aggressive at all.

It's been pretty impressive as far a reliability goes.

And new for Can Am for 2018........ wait for it...... And now Can-Am has a true 4WD limited slip differential like Polaris.

And that right there sucks.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Can Am population is growing fast out here.

I'm the only Kawasaki in my group and the rest are 650-800 Can Am Max's.

One of my friends has a 2014 800 Max with well over 20,000 miles and I think the biggest expense was a new front driveshaft.

I think it needs the Visco-Lok in the front diff replaced. Its not very aggressive at all.

It's been pretty impressive as far a reliability goes.

And new for Can Am for 2018........ wait for it...... And now Can-Am has a true 4WD limited slip differential like Polaris.

And that right there sucks.
I haven't noticed any lag in the Quick Engagement system on either the 2012 650 I had or the 1000 I now have. Also never had an issue with the 3 Polaris machines we had. Was always right there when I hit the AWD button. Slightest difference in wheel speed between the front and back tires and it kicked right in. Some people shattered the earlier versions engaging the AWD while being heavy on the throttle (something they tell you not to do in the owner's manual). The newer aluminum cages in the front end are much better than the older plastic ones. I don't know. I'm beginning to think Polaris and you don't get along well.

Where did you see anything about a change in the Visco-Lok system? Haven't been able to find it.

Quick Reply: your honest opinion please