General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rumors....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, at this point it looks as if the SP700 is real, should be released shortly from what everyone is saying. Now, what's this about the Suzuki Quadmaster being completely rebuilt with the new Vinson body, housing a "rumored" 700cc engine, to be released in the September time frame???

I don't know how some of these guys get their info, but if it is indeed in the works to be released, can we possibly be expecting similar results from 'Cat? Seeing as how they share the same engines anyway, with the exception of the 375 (but isn't that a strong resemblence to one of the other 'Zuki lines anyway?), I don't see why AC would fall that far behind, but it is possible. The release of several new machines with the major difference being IRS was a big step in the right direction, but what about diff. lock, bigger displacement engine to compete with the other "big-bores", and possibly re-designed steering geometry for a lighter feel.

While the 'Cats front diff. works great anyway-at least on my machines, true diff. lock is really not that hard to do on the machine, and doesn't cost that much more either. However, it is a HUGE selling point, so why would they leave that kind of thing off? As for bigger engines, seems nobody is happy with 500cc's anymore, if this new Suzuki rumor is true, then AC and Honda are the only ones to be competing against each other in that class, as 500's are as big as we've got. With people wanting faster machines, AC did take a small step in re-gearing, but I doubt that will be enough to run top speed with say the SPHO, but I'm not for certain on that, just guessing.

Are there any AC guys who have a similar "inside scoup" like some of the others for Suzuki and Polaris? So, how about it, can we look forward to seeing a brand new '02 'Cat with a 700cc (or thereabout's) engine, coupled with a new diff. lock, in both the 500 frame with either strait axle or IRS??? If that new IRS is half as good as the standard ACT rear swing axle, you quite possibly might have a near-perfect machine there. With a 700, AC should be able to run with the new Griz and Kawi anyway as far as top end goes, my guess though in the trails and rough stuff would be very similar to how the SPHO handles that kind of thing-best in class for how long now???

I hate to get mixed up in all these "rumors", but with exciting times all around us, is it possible??? Any thoughts on this matter???

Happy Trails,

Mike

Old 08-14-2001, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

If that is true, Cat will soon follow. It is pretty common knowledge that Cat uses Zuki engines on it's machines. If you know where to look, you can even see where it says 'Suzuki' on some of the castings.
What I consider to be the Cat's strongest point is the way they take a good, solid motor, and build their own frame around it to make it perform better than the original quad the engine was sitting in. If you rode a Zuki (I haven't been on one for a few years, so the new ones might be better) you will come off with the impression of a solid-built machine, nothing too be excited about, but nothing to really gripe about, either. You just have the feeling that if they would just beef it up here & there, and improve the suspension action a little, they might really have something here. Well, that something is the Cat lineup. I would really be interested to see what Cat does if they DO get their hands on a true 'big bore' as what they did with the others is truly impressive.

Old 08-14-2001, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Doesn't it say in the Sept edition of DW that the AC 375 motor is derived from some Zuki dirt bike AND that it appears to be the same that is in the new Eiger? They have a first test in that issue on the 375 and they also have a first look at the 2002 Zukis. Maybe I mistook it, but i am pretty sure it is true.

Old 08-14-2001, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Suzuki released all their new quads except for one. Maybe that one won't be the long awaited 400 sport bike and instead be a 700 4x4. We shall see.

Old 08-14-2001, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't remember the exact number but I thought they were supposed to release more like 9 new models. With only 5 being already released, there is still room for both the quadmaster700 and a sport based ATV.

Old 08-14-2001, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

I heard this rumor over a year ago. Here goes. AC was considering putting their 4 stroke 660 cc triple in an ATV, but they have had some reliability issues and production problems. So for now all of the 660's are going into the new sleds. Other than that I haven't got a clue.

Old 08-16-2001, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

The 376cc motor is also in the Eiger.

About the locker, I've been told that the 02 cats can be put into true 4wd with adjustments to the differential, but I just don't see how it would be possible.

Old 08-16-2001, 11:54 AM
Range Rover

Hey guys!
I went over to the Polaris dealership yesterday because they also sell mules. My dad is looking at a new mule. I talked to the salesman and he told me for a fact that Polaris is coming out with a 700cc v-twin. The Polaris rep was there last Friday to show pictures of the new bike. He said that Polaris will announce the new bike in about a month. He told me that there would be no significant changes in the SP500, just the 700cc motor. He also told me that the price for the 700 would only be about 300-400 more than the 500sp. Sounds like a pretty good deal if it holds true.

Waco4whlr

Old 08-16-2001, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Waco, have your Dad hold up on the Mule. The guys at Arctic Cat are coming out with something very similar to the mule. I don't have the specifics on it, but I have seen a picture of it and it looks like a pretty good unit. Side by side seating and I believe it's also a dump bed. Wish I had more to tell you but the AC dealer in your area should be able to help you out.

Old 08-16-2001, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Minehunter-
Are you talking about the new SBS 1000 utility vehicle??? side-by-side seating, looks like an old style jeep with a huge bed, carries over 1,000 lbs.? If so, there is a picture and a full page review on the cover of ATVconnection home page-underneath the new '02 article and the "sheep hunting" with AC's. If you haven't seen it yet, it might be worth a look.

OR, is there something else coming from AC???? Man these are exciting times for the development of atvs, aren't they!

Best of Luck guys,

Mike