General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Ranger vs. Mule (Ranger or Mule vs. 4 Wheeler)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ranger vs. Mule (Ranger or Mule vs. 4 Wheeler)

Thinking about purchasing a 4x4 Polaris Ranger, any thoughts appreciated.
Interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with the Ranger or Mule first. Second interested in thoughts on one of those vs. a 4 wheeler. Activities would involve leisurely woods riding, nothing radical as I am over 30 but still enjoy a good adrenal rush every now and then. Would use it for hunting quite a bit and just general site seeing and riding around the farm. Any information appreciated.
Thanks, RobertH

Old 11-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the Ranger is faster, and smoother riding than the Mule.
Very little experience with the 4x4 Ranger, somewhat more with the 6x6.
In MY opinion, the 4x4 Ranger will go about 90% of where a comparable ATV would go, except under low tree limbs due to the roll bar, and maybe between trees, due to it being a shade wider. Ground clearance isn't what it is on a Sportsman, but would be close to what you experience with a swingarm machine. Compared to an ATV, the Ranger is more heavy-duty, and slower. The 6x6, in particular, is more heavy-duty, but when you lock in all 6 wheels, you would be amazed where you can go.
You are not going to be able to keep up with the 500+ class machines in spirited trail riding, you might be about on par with the 400 class ones, and should keep up with about anything in the 300-350cc range. What you will be able to do better than anyone else is HAUL & TOW. The guys with the Rangers can be pretty popular on scenic trails. They have that wonderful cargo box that can haul a cooler of wieners & burgers, a small portable gas grille, and a cooler of ice cold beverages, with room to spare for extra gas & etc. Nothing like an impromptu cookout on some scenic overlook out in the middle of nowhere...just remember not to get too radical or you might take the fizz out of the soda.

For liesurely woods riding & hunting, they are just the thing. You can ride 3 wide in the newer Rangers, and fairly comfortably if one of them is young/thin. Plus, you all have seatbelts & are protected by a roll cage, for extra safety. They will climb quite a hill. They are also good for the elderly/handicapped, as you don't need to throw a leg over the seat, you just climb in, like a golf cart (only taller). They can be equipped with a cab for hunting, so you don't freeze, and have a sheltered place to keep your guns, and a box large enough to haul out any deer, no problem.

From what I have seen the Mule has all the capability of the Ranger, but the Ranger has better suspension, more HP, and faster open road speed.

Old 11-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply, great information, truly appreciate it. That just about seals the deal, I have a wife and little boy 17 mo old and think something like this would suit us for the next five years or so as we enjoy the great outdoors.
Thanks Again,
RobertH

Old 11-12-2002, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

[b]I would aggree that it is the "ultimate hunting/working machine". I have a 6X6 and it will go anywhere you want to go as long as you have the clearance to go. My ol saying to people is that if you get somewhere where you have to use the 3500# winch that I have on mine, then you don't need to be there. It's just to bad I don't hunt. I have used mine for a different reason/job and now I am done, so I am selling mine. If you know anyone interested, just have them e-mail me at me and I can shoot them some pics and more info.

Old 11-12-2002, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a new (2.5 hrs) mule for sale if you are interested in a mule.
Gas powered 4x4 model. Red.

Old 11-27-2002, 11:09 AM
Range Rover

I've been hunting with the 6x6 Rangers on a couple of occaisions.

They are great machines for their intended purpose.

As stated earlier they have distinct advantages over a 4 wheeler, primarily the cargo box and the enclosed cab.

They do have limitations: You simply wont go the same places a 4 wheeler can go. The Ranger weighs about twice as much as a 4 wheeler, has about half the ground clearance, and is perhaps half again as wide.

I've seen them:
have to back out of a trail because they simply could not fit.
get burried up to the floor boards in a bog that a 4 wheeler floated right across
climb a rocky trial that would be hard to walk up
carry a broke-down 4 wheeler in their cargo box

I gues it all depends on what you want, and your personal riding style.

Old 11-27-2002, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea and there has been times that I have had to pull 4 wheelers thru places they could not go, as in mud holes and up hills. BTW, mine is still for sale, so just e-mail me and get more info.me

Old 11-27-2002, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

Hey, I'm 31 and don't consider myself over the hill. I love riding my 4 wheeler and I use it for everything frm hunting to sport type riding. Guess if I wanted something like a mule might as well get a golf cart. Some of the trails I ride are way to narrow for a machine like that, they are mostly used as a farm aid here.

Old 12-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

get a polsris big boss! same thing as ranger as a quad