Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Article in connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2000, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

450s---sorry to bust your bubble but the rancher only has 7 7/8" ground clearance at the rear diferintal, not 9.8". i know because i just measured it. honda must be measuring at the rear axle because mine is 10" at the axle. the dealer musta lied to ya.

Old 05-05-2000, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer
Old 05-05-2000, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

Nah, they didn't lie to me, I was measuring from the rear tow hitch. At the lowest point, the GC on a Rancher is 7.7". (with the recommended tire pressure.)

Old 05-05-2000, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

Agreed, the test ride article was very "neutral." Even though they took along an ES to compare with, very little is mentioned in the article about how the Rubicon fared in relation to the ES. Lots of dialog, no substance. I seriously suspect the Rubicon did not outshine the ES in any regard. Too much emphasis in the article on engineering and theory, not enough on performance.

As far as all the concern over sensor failure, automobiles have far more sensors and computer gear than this ATV, and are extremely reliable. Although, I do hope Honda has engineered in a "limp" mode. On the other hand, automobiles have a far better warranty than any ATV on the market!

Yes, drum brakes are old technology. Honda should have kept up with the competition here. But, with excellent engine braking, it's not a big concern.

I view the Rubicon as a simple-to-operate version of the ES. Point and go. It's not for jumping or racing, and should not be rated with that in mind. This is a machine for the hunter or rock climber. Docile, and reliable as an anvil. Why are so many concerned with "top end" on ATV's? How many of us operate this class of ATV at full throttle?

Will be purchasing one soon, my experiences, good or bad, will be posted on the forum.

Old 05-05-2000, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer

nuke, I feel the same about this machine as you. This is gonna be an ATV for guys that are not concerned about total all out performance. I think its gonna be an excellent bike, but I still have unanswered questions. sounds like tthe tranny will operate similar to a auto trans in your car without shifting ( the shiftihg will occur continuosly ).

Old 05-06-2000, 12:08 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

Every day I have a differnt opion on it, now I like the idea of the trans because I can plow snow slowly without burning a clutch.

Old 05-06-2000, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Since its fun to be the devil's advocate...

What'so bad about drum brakes? Anyone out there have concrete proof they don't work as well on a quad as discs? Or is everyone caught up in some marketing hype that says discs are the best because they look good, etc? My own experience with Honda's drums is that they work damn good.

For me, that's the bottom line to all of this - what works the best, and why.

Same goes for the 2WD/4WD option - if Honda's full-time 4WD works just as good as everyone elses 4WD in 2WD mode, what difference does it make? Sounds like that new front differential on the Ranchers and Rubicons makes steering the 4WD a breeze - one magazine I read said they had to look under the front to make sure the Rancher they were riding had a front diff!

OK - enough from me. I'll sit back and wait for your replies. Take your best shot, this is kinda fun anyway!

Old 05-06-2000, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

No full time 4x4 will steer like a 2wd bike I read a ride review on the Rubicon and the guy said it will not power slide very well (who does not know that)when I go tearing through the trail in 2wd it's alot better than in 4wd ,who wants to be in 4wd when the conditions do not call for it it and thats 99% of the time.As for drum brakes if they could stop better than disks Honda would put them on there cars,motocross bikes,EX and XR and so would the rest of the world.

Old 05-06-2000, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

I don't hardly use my brakes, so brakes don't make that much of a difference. I would hope Rooster would post his reply about this earlier. He has access to many makes and styles of ATVs and he posted how he stood the Honda up on the front wheels with drums . I don't need my ATV to have the ability powerslide or do wheelies, or jump hills, I have dirt bkes for that. I want my ATV to be a tank. But, I understand what Tim wants and I think his bike fullfils his needs.
Did like your post Superduty1.

Old 05-06-2000, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

I not saying 2wd is for everyone I just did not want "Petesbweed" going through life thinking 4x4s steer as well as 2wd bikes with a free wheeling front end like he thinks now.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Article in connection