Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman rear break ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman rear break ?

How does the drum come off on the rear brake of a foreman? I have the cover off that is supposed to seal brakes from water and the drum can wiggle back and forth but I don't want to pry it off and break the cast aluminium housing on rear. Is there a special tool to remove this? Any pictures?

Old 05-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No special tool required. Two things. You should find an o-ring around the axle, sometimes it kinda hides in the flange of the drum. Make sure you remove this. A pick works good for that. Also, a ridge forms on the brake drum and it makes it difficult to slide past. Or it's rusted on, but it doesn't sound like it if it can move. Make sure your brake cables are slackened as much as possible or better yet, just remove the adjuster nuts completely. You will have to put a small prybar on both sides of the drum and carefully pry and wiggle it off. Some of the atv's have slots so you can actually see the brake shoes through the drum. If that's the case with yours, you can drive the brake shoes back as you pull the drum off.

Old 05-23-2003, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To back the brakes off you may need to pull the lever back with some force as the cam doesn't always return to it's neutral position. Make sure you don't go too far or you will actually move the brake shoes out tight against the drum again. Once you get the shoes in their neutral position you can remove the big drain plug out of the bottom of the backside of the housing, and using a 3/8" x 4" bolt or a punch that will fit, you can tap on the drum with the punch and a hammer and it will come loose and eventually off that way. I found that that worked the best on the Foreman 400 that I just resealed the back axle on.