Old 06-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do atv companies avoid EFI?

Old 06-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Please disregard this thread. I don't know how I posted two. Think I hit a wrong button.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably carbs are still cheaper, especially when you consider all the paraphenalia that goes along with fuel injection, like fuel pump, the need for more electrical output, a number of monitoring devices to provide info, a more elaborate and expensive control unit, not to mention all the plumbing and fun of working with pressurized fuel. I think if they were forced to meet stricter emissions you would see it sooner.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Well I cant see the other post on this page anywheres so I'll give my bit here. Acually rumurs have it that Arctic Cat will introduce their EFI on wheelers very shortly. Arctic Cat has had an EFI system on their snowmobile since the early 1990's and it is one of the best fuel delivery systems out there. Super light throtle pull, no need for rejetting, second pull starts and its suppose to give crisper throtle response but I haven't drove the same machine with and without the EFI.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess someone removed the other thread with the same topic. Thanks for your responses!

Old 06-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CO$T.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Its all about the money. The factory can throw a carb on a bike for less than $100 when purchased by the thousands. An efi system costs almost ten times that. You need a computer,many sensors,fuel pump ,injectors,and the R&D to make it work. Efi doesnt nessasarily increase power but it makes for one heck of an adjustable power band and infinite fine tuning. Gas Gas and cannondale already use it because they are no comprimise atvs so the extra cost is justified. Since emmisions on off road vehicle are not very strict carbs will be around for quite a few years.

Old 06-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

All of what WISTECH said, plus the fact that small carbs can be tuned so precisely that they can meet the same emissions demands that EFI can - almost. EFI will allow you to do tricks like tight timing control, super-lean idle (for emissions testing), etc. But it's EXPENSIVE.

The Arctic Cat "Ficht" injection has indeed been around for a long time - on two-strokes. This technology was NOT always so "reliable" as you say. In fact, the entire OMC (Outboard Marine Corp) went bankrupt almost entirely due to "Ficht Injection." For about 2 years, EVERY SINGLE ficht-injected outboard made by Johnson and Evinrude would go lean and seize the motor. They went belly up trying to warranty all the wasted powerheads (entire engine block on an outboard). This fiasco took them from top outboard motor sales (over Mercury) to chapter 11 bankruptcy within 2 years.

I think they licensed the technology from Bombardier? not sure - but later versions of Ficht injection worked much better. Again, for two strokes - this is Direct Injection much like a typical Diesel engine. Not too much like an EFI system would be on a four stroke (lower fuel pressure, automotive-style injector, etc.).

Old 06-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. The next time you drown out your quad in a creek or bog you will be thanking your stars you don't have efi. Lot easier to drain the grunge out of a carb then replace a fried 'puter.

2. A lot harder to mod. With efi you oftenr need to reprogram the CPU or get a different chip when you add a pipe, or cam(s), or intake mods, etc.

Old 06-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

if you get into EFI tuning it's actually a LOT easier to mod. Check with the sportbike crowd - chip tuning and ECU programs abound online. Some manufacturers sell the software to be able to do your own fuel/timing maps and VE tables. Others, you have to buy third party software to do the same - either way, EFI is here to stay.

As for water - a printed circuit board is a lot easier to waterproof than a carb!!!

Quick Reply: Why do atv companies avoid EFI?