Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Back again for more advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Ol
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back again for more advice

Last year I decided a utility ATV would be just the ticket for duty over on my desert ranch, so, at 60 years of age I went down to the Honda store and bought a new Rancher ES. Before I popped for the long green I asked here for advice and the advice I received was indeed Spot On. I can frequently see a very real need for the 4x4 capability in the sandy areas.

Anyway, I am delighted with my Rancher - BUT, I've decided I'd have even MORE fun if I had another ATV for various "guests" to ride when they visit. Being a cheap Ol Bas..... er, Ol Dude I can't afford another ATV with all the bells and whistles, but I "might" be able to swing a basic Recon (hmmmmm, so how come Honda doesn't offer a Senior Discount like Burger King, Arbys or Wendys????).

Will the Recon haul a 175# person up and down pretty steep hills OK ? I guess what I want to know is: is the Recon a gutless wonder or will it hang in there ok with the Rancher on those "outback excursions"? There is no mud to speak of in the desert and any sand bogs that stuck the Recon, I'd tow the Recon out with the Rancher.

Thanks in advance, your opinions will be appreciated

Old 07-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,
If your tight on cash, go with the recon. That little thing will suprise you with how much it can do. Don't worry about weight capacity. I weigh 200 and my bro is 275, when I was riding my rancher and he was riding his recon, and was hanging right next to me. Less bells and whistles but very comperable and both very reliable. We would ride all day up steep hills, in sand, mud, and just about everything you can think of. One advantage of the Recon, it's lightweight. When my bro would come across a log or something that he wouldn't make ground clearance. He would just lift one end over it. Both quads have about the same top speed. Recon has no speedometer, but not necessary. I'd go with the recon.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Range Rover

ill second the recon, looks cool too.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

I have a friend who has a Recon. He rides in alot of mud with stock tires. He gets around great.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

I think you'll be surprised with the Recon....it will hang with the rancher with little effort unless you come to a spot where you need 4X4...plus, in areas where you can open up, the 2wd Recon is a bunch more fun than the Rancher.