Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex pros cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 02:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex pros cons

OK if you have not got it yet by my earlyer postings I am looking for a Quad. I am looking at a 400ex. Tell me what you know. Thanks Bruce

Old 07-23-2003, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex pros cons

Ok Bruce i will try to help you out some.

Pros-- Suspension, Handling, Cheap, Low maintanence, Lots of aftermarket parts that you can install yourself, Durabule, and it says Honda down the side.

Cons--Some people say not having reverse but those are the kind of people that get to the edge of a hill then change their mind and their underwear. And most people say because it is not watercooled but i have had no problems with this. Also it is a little slower than most other competition bikes speed all depends on how much money you want to spend. The ex is geared a little bit lower to i believe somene will correct me if I am wrong. If the bike had one more gear it would scream. I have ran other bikes and they always get me in that last gear.

Overall I would tell you to start looking for one right now unless you want to wait til next year and get the 2nd year yzf 450 when they have all the bugs worked out. And alot of us believe that honda will unveil their new sportquad in september but the last few years we have been proven wrong. If you have something to ride now give it a little time.

Old 07-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400ex pros cons

If you are looking for a 400 class bike, I would pick the EX ONLY if price is a primary concern. Around here, you can get at least $1,000 off of MSRP. I thing the EX's place is the bargain entry level performance bike, or king of the sport bikes (take your pick).

If price is not a concern, then go with an 2004, Z400. It is incrementally better than the EX in every way. And, that Z motor is a real peach!!

Old 07-23-2003, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex pros cons

The z400 is not faster than a 400ex! it just depends on the driver, who ever is better driver theyre gonna win (in a drag). On a track the 400ex would win, it has better handling and suspension (regardless of what magazines say). And who needs reverse? if your getting stuck on a bike like that you shouldnt be riding it.

Old 07-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex pros cons

pros?..........handles like a dream
cons............slow

Old 07-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default 400ex pros cons

Let me tell you about the 400EX

Pros-You can turn the 400EX into a 440ex. The suspension is unrivaled by any company. It Is a Honda. Hondas dont break. It is extremely fast and durable

Cons-No reverse.

Old 07-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex pros cons

Pro: Its a Honda.

Con: Its a Honda.

Old 07-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex pros cons

It's a great wheelie machine and it's plenty of fun to ride. I guess it just depends on the type of riding you do, your body size, and what you expect out of you quad. Personally, I'd be wary of plunking down any money on a quad that hasn't changed in five years. You gotta' expect that Honda is about to come out with something better, or they're at least gonna' update the 400EX. Maybe that wouldn't bother you, but it'd bug the heck out of me if I just bought a new quad and within a few months they came out with something better. Just a thought...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default 400ex pros cons

I just bought a new 03 400 EX (RED) last Saturday & couldn't be happier. I now have my 02 Banshee for sale..the only thing good about it is the motor...everything else sucks. The only thing I can think of that the 400 EX needs is just a few more hp, but, I didn't buy it thinking it would be a rocketship...I wanted something reliable, simple,decent power, great suspension & handling....the 400 EX gives you those things! Have you ever adjusted the chain on a Banshee?? Watched coolant overflow onto the pipes when you're sitting there idling for more than 30 seconds?? Went through a set of whoops on a stock Banshee??? Those are all terrible things....I love my new 400 EX!

Old 07-28-2003, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex pros cons

Originally posted by: CrAcKhEaD
The z400 is not faster than a 400ex! it just depends on the driver, who ever is better driver theyre gonna win (in a drag). On a track the 400ex would win, it has better handling and suspension (regardless of what magazines say). And who needs reverse? if your getting stuck on a bike like that you shouldnt be riding it.
The z is a little faster with equally skilled riders having their best rides in a drag but it's really close. On the track the ex will not automatically win. I race every weekend give or take at our track and I beat better riders than myself experience wise all the time. It depends on the driver even more at the track than in a drag I think. I don't know about the handling it's pretty close and the suspension on the z is soft for the track. And everyone that rides in the east in these wooded trails that are barely wider than your quad needs reverse. You can't be so good on a quad that you can climb one of these friggin oak trees that are growing six inches apart to get around it. Trust me my friends love their ex's but every time we take a wrong turn and they have to pick their whole quad up or run through a briar thicket to get turned the words their uttering aren't I knew I didn't need reverse. Their usually cursing me because I throw it in reverse and back out of there. For a lot of riding you don't need reverse but it's really convenient when you've got it.

Quick Reply: 400ex pros cons