Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help with carb adjustment(maybe)

Old 05-20-2000, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, i know there is alot of brilliant guys out there that know alot about carbs, and those are the guys i need to talk to. My 87 250X is have problems with the carb, its mostly in the slide adjustment i think... But i cant figure out how to get the slide to open up quicker, its about half throttle before it opens up, and its not the throttle cable, trust me i have the thing torn apart and that aint it... can some one please help me, maybe a bigger pilot jet?? is that the problem?? THANKS A TON!!!!

Old 05-20-2000, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm uncertain which carburetor you have, RangerSX. I assume you have a Keihin CV (Constant Velocity) type.

The slides on these carburetors ain't 'sposed to open up with the throttle or butterfly; rather, they are opened by the vacuum created by the consequent flow of air into the carb, a process lagging throttle opening.

From the description of your problem, if the slide rises too slowly or too little, I suspect you have an imperfect seal at the top of the carb, around the diaphragm.

This seal must be perfectly airtight to raise the slide correctly with incoming air volume and velocity.

You must take the top off and carefully, carefully insure the diaphragm fits perfectly and the top fits down absolutely flush, sealing the unit.

A correctly assembled carb exhibits a "squishy" effect when you raise and release the slide manually; if leaks are present, the slide goes up and down with straightforward spring action.

Tree Farmer

Old 05-21-2000, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah that sounds all nice and dandy to the guys that know about carbs, but i dont believe i have a CV type, its a keihin, but i dont think it runs off a vaccuum. the slide just needs to open up more, there is nothing there from zero to half throttle, and thats where the slide starts to open, at half throttle, i would like to get it open sooner so i have some low end..... thanks