Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Works Shocks for 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2000, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys I am fixing to buy some Works shocks for my 400ex. I race Hare scrambles and need shocks accordingly. Where is the best place to buy em, and the cheapest place.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Casey King-Arnold (04-08-2021)
Old 05-22-2000, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check into TCS... $650, but I think you'd be much happier with them.

I raced my first harescramble today, I noticed that my TCS's (Which are setup for MX and the +2 control arms I don't have) were soaking up the bumps and keeping the front tires in contact with the ground much better than most of the Works equipped bikes. I imagine a set setup for harescrambles would work most excellently...

BTW I took 2nd with about 22 other riders in my class. Not bad for my first harescramble on a stock bike except for the front shocks...

Old 05-23-2000, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

if u get the works it is a waste of money u should just send them away to fmfracing and get it revalved i had that done to mine and i think it is as good as aftermarket and its also cheaper tooo

Old 05-25-2000, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

What are you saying? That you should get the Works revalved if you buy some?

Old 05-25-2000, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

I have works triple rate with the reservoir that work very nice they built them according to my weight and riding style I got them at shock connection

Todd
Illinois

Old 05-25-2000, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

(iride) can you tell a differnce, are they worth the money?

Old 05-26-2000, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

i have triples w rezzies too and i love them. I haven't bottomed them out yet and i do bottom out the rear. I feel they are night and day different so i can't understand how the pep or the tcs could be that much better yet? Getting +2 a arms and then a rear shock.

Old 05-26-2000, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

I've ridden Works on a 250R before, noticed a difference, I have also felt a set on a 400EX (But did not ride it), I didn't like the way they felt, but when I put my TCS's on my 400, the improvement was vast, it was a different bike...

The TCS's are custom built to your weight, riding style, skill, etc...

The TCS's will lower your ride height. My bike sags probably 3" or more on it's own weight via the zero preload setup, when I get on, it doesn't really sag anymore, very well controlled. Better stability and cornering. Also gives it a cool "raked" look, especially when combined with the CR bend, low profile bars I run.

The bike no longer rolls into the corners, the front stays flat.

One of the biggest differences is when going thru something like 45 deg cross bumps. Before as the fronts would hit the bumps, you would feel all of it transmitted thru the bars. Now, large stuff gets soaked up to the point to where you don't even feel it.

Steering is vastly improved. The front sticks in the corners without pushing. When the terrain drops out from under you, the ZPS added sag lets the fronts sink into the drop out, improving steering and ride.

The TCS's are basically Works but improved. They are a Works body, but they use a better shim stack valving system, are hard anodized (to prevent fluid contamination), come standard with reservoirs, have the 2 spring zero preload setup, and don't suffer from the Works bushing problem.

My rear shock is vastly inadequate now. It bottoms easily on jumps that the TCS's soak up with ease. It also bucks when the TCS's are riding smooth.

I ride dirtbikes also. My 400 now feels a lot more like MX bike suspension. Everyone that has ridden it (mostly dirtbike guys) notices this right away & can't believe the difference.

As you can tell, I am very happy with mine. I can only hope that when I send the rear off (5 week wait ), it will have the same effect....

Old 05-26-2000, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

yes they are worth every bit!!!!I love to jump and the stock shocks always bottomed out with the new works they never bottom and soak up the little bumps too!!you will not believe the difference

Todd
Illinois

Old 05-27-2000, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

(86atc250r)You are gonna be more amazed with the rear end!! Just got my fronts and rear back from TCS and the bike sits and feels great. Todd at TCS is the best. He's the only one out there who will tell you the stock rear's technology is better than whats available elsewhere. $420 gets you the dual rate zps set-up. Make sure you get the dual, my buddie did the single and it rides too high. As far as Works vs. TCS, just let me say my TCS's started out as Works triples and honestly, besides better bottoming resistance, I wasn't impressed at all. 86atc250r I look forward to seeing some more pictures when you get all 3 shocks on. That's flyin' on stocks! Hell, that would be flyin' on Gust's bike! Gas on!

Quick Reply: Works Shocks for 400ex