Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250ex problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 03:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250ex problems please help

My sister bought a 250 ex and it seems very down on power in first gear. I dont think this should be like this. If you are stopped on a slight hill it will not take off, just kinda sits there and puts but doesnt move at all? is this normal? I ride a Raptor so i dont really know what a smaller machine is suppose to be like. Also it sometimes seems to break up a little taking off, im thinking this is a jetting problem. I got it to run fine topend and midrange but down low it just doesnt seem to have anything until it hits a certain rpm, then for this machine it becomes a monster. It has a KN filter and not sure what kind of silencer but its aftermarket, might also have a header on it i dont know for sure. Im not really familiar with hondas! Should this require a bigger pilot jet? Also there is a tube that comes off the left side next to the choke that isnt connect to anything is this just an overflow? This fits onto the side right in front of the choke cable assembly (left side sitting on the machine) should the other end just dangle there or is there a place for it to be plugged into?

Heres what i know the main jet is suppose to be right took it to a shop and well they rejetted it but didnt do a good job. pilot screw is 3 turns out. dont know what the idle screw is at i think 2.5 out. needle clip second from the top. Pilot jet appeared to be stock.
Mods: pipe(i think), silencer, kn, and small holes in airbox lid.

So the main problem is just taking off id say roughly 1200-2200 rpm then it comes alive like it really wants to move. Sometimes its spits and sputters doesnt move then it will seem to clear up or get past the bad point and start to move.

Please help i dont want her taking it back to the shop that charged her $224.00 for me to get it running decent! 224.00 and they didnt get the thing running any better!! I know i can fix it with some good info.

Are they just that weak taking off??

Old 07-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Slowwarrior
My sister bought a 250 ex and it seems very down on power in first gear. I dont think this should be like this. If you are stopped on a slight hill it will not take off, just kinda sits there and puts but doesnt move at all? is this normal? I ride a Raptor so i dont really know what a smaller machine is suppose to be like. Also it sometimes seems to break up a little taking off, im thinking this is a jetting problem. I got it to run fine topend and midrange but down low it just doesnt seem to have anything until it hits a certain rpm, then for this machine it becomes a monster. It has a KN filter and not sure what kind of silencer but its aftermarket, might also have a header on it i dont know for sure. Im not really familiar with hondas! Should this require a bigger pilot jet? Also there is a tube that comes off the left side next to the choke that isnt connect to anything is this just an overflow? This fits onto the side right in front of the choke cable assembly (left side sitting on the machine) should the other end just dangle there or is there a place for it to be plugged into?

Heres what i know the main jet is suppose to be right took it to a shop and well they rejetted it but didnt do a good job. pilot screw is 3 turns out. dont know what the idle screw is at i think 2.5 out. needle clip second from the top. Pilot jet appeared to be stock.
Mods: pipe(i think), silencer, kn, and small holes in airbox lid.

So the main problem is just taking off id say roughly 1200-2200 rpm then it comes alive like it really wants to move. Sometimes its spits and sputters doesnt move then it will seem to clear up or get past the bad point and start to move.

Please help i dont want her taking it back to the shop that charged her $224.00 for me to get it running decent! 224.00 and they didnt get the thing running any better!! I know i can fix it with some good info.

Are they just that weak taking off??
no. they actually take off pretty strong once you get the jetting right.

try moving the e clip on the jet needle to the 4th or 5th groove from the top. i had some jetting issues (from idling in gear to wicking it WOT it would just sputter and occasionally die), and after moving the clip to the 5th groove, it was a lot better.

for the mods you have, you should have about a 105-110 main jet. go to your dealer or a reputable shop nearby and buy some spare jets. start off intentionally rich, and work your way down until you reach peak performance. if you have a camera, take some pics of the silencer. i can try to analyze the pics and decipher which exhaust you have. the jetting numbers i gave you are with the mods you know of and a complete Pro Circuit exhaust. they are known for essentially being a free flow exhaust so with something like a big gun pipe or something you might be a tad rich.

stock (38) pilot should be 2.5-3.5 turns out. 40 pilot should be 1.5-2.5 turns out

try turning down your idle as well, that might be one of your problems.

make sure the filter is clean and the carb doesn't have a ton of crap in it.

the tube i think you are referring to is the overflow.

i hope i helped you some.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

On ours if your lets say in a ditch and are stopped and the incline is great enough it won't pull itself out without some help. This is what I would concider normal with a auto-clutch. Seeing as the rpms can't get high enough to build the needed power to pull itself and the rider out of the ditch/hill. Its not just the 250 that does this, we have a Kaw. Lakota in our group and it does the same thing. Thats my only dislike of a auto-clutch, you can't slip the clutch to get the torque that you need. Now if your talking just a small incline then there is something wrong. I have the k&n filter plus jet kit and White Brothers exh. on ours and you can hit the throttle wide open and It'll take off no problem, doesn't spit or sputter. Does sound like you have a jetting problem too. If you are any good with hand tools then you will be able to remove the carb and jet it properly yourself. If you need I have a factory manual and have sent scanned pages to other atv members before. All I need to know is what info you want and I'll e-mail you the pages. Pm me if your interested.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

well when i am on a hill and in first and i cant get no power i kick mine in netural and then kick back in 1st and it should go ride up it