Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Priblems w/ trx250r

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2000 | 02:07 AM
|
Range Rover

I recently purchased a race ready 250r. The first day I rode it(about 20 minutes into the ride) I threw the chain and busted my case. I have already ordered a case saver and a new case but I was wondering if this is going to happen alot with this quad. I have heard that this is a problem with the 250r's.
Also the kid that I purchased it from claimed that the clutch was setup by Paul Turner himself (who actually lives in his neighborhood, which is true) for racing so that the clutch disengages the gear just enough so that they dont burn up, but keeps constant power going to the wheels. When I start out I have to pull the clutch in and just slame it into gear and hit the gas, you cant sit in gear with the clutch pulled. I think this may have caused the chain to stretch and eventually fly off.
I know a fair amount about quads and repair but this is my first 250r and my first race ready quad. What other problems will I have with it in the trails and such, being that it is setup for motocross(and wow is it ever setup)
Any info would be greatly apreciated.

Chris '87 trx 250r...fast, just fast
'00 Blaster...not even close

Old 05-23-2000 | 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

You chain was not tightened properly or your sprockets are really worn and may need replacing. It the chain is too tight it will snap. And if it is too loose it will come off the sprockets. The case saver is the way to go so you can avoid this problem in the future

Old 05-23-2000 | 01:18 PM
|
Range Rover

Yes before I started riding I tightened the chain, but it must have been too tight because it just broke in half. I thouhgt it was better to have it a little tight rather than loose. What do you guys think about that clutch setup? Will I have this problem with the chain often? Thanks in advance, Chris.

Old 05-23-2000 | 02:05 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think the clutch will cause you more chain problems, as long as you use a good quality chain and keep it adjusted correctly. I also don't think 250r's are more or less prone to chain problems than any other high performance quad, it's just that alot of people neglect the chain maintenance, and the power it's capable of producing will wear a chain quickly.
Case savers are well worth the investment though, as is a factory (or any other) service manual.

Old 05-23-2000 | 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

You could also check for any play in the swingarm bearings and axle bearings. Worn out swingarm and axle bearings can cause the chain to come off.

Old 06-01-2000 | 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

my 86 trx250r also threw the chain and busted the case my dad is a sheet metal worker so he tig welded it back together its starting to leak again now though so I am going to have to get a new shift seal I have a nac's casesaver now and it hasn't thrown the chain yet. the reason mine threw the chain is because the beraings on the axle carrier where basicly disenergrated and it allow the axle to wobble.I put in new axle bearing and seals and that chain saver and haven't had a prob since I also check the chain tension before and after every ride. well I hope this help and about the clutch as long as U get a qaulity chain and sprokets and make sure it is properly adjusted I don't see a problem.