Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

4x4 or 2x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2000, 08:33 PM
MXZ
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iam looking at purchasing a Honda Rancher. I just don't know what to get yet. If i should get a 4x4 or a 2x4. Most of the riding I do is Recreational riding like fire roads, old railway beds and just trails around the farm and even some sport riding too. If you could give me a suggestion anyone that would be perfect.
Thanks.

2000 Recon
Great Quad, No problems yet

Old 05-23-2000, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

It all depends on how and where you are going to use your atv. If your going to do some hardcore trail riding I would go with the 4x4 but if you like to do a little sport riding and playing around I would go with the 2x4. I have an atv but I normally just use it up at my cottage so I got the Honda Recon which is a 2x4 because it has better handling then the 4x4 and is lighter and is better on gas.
I hope this helped a bit

Old 05-23-2000, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MXZ, You didn't ask this question, but I'll answer it anyway: a 2 wheel drive is called a 4x2 not a 2x4 which is a piece of lumber It's 4 wheels with 2 wheels driving. I just saw a pic somewhere of a 6x4...same reference.
That said, you might be just fine with a 4x2 given the style of riding you do. In many cases a rider on a 4x4 simply is less cautious or more indifferent about how he approaches difficult terrain, knowing that he can always rely on his 4x4 option to get him thru it. My first quad was an 89 Quad Runner 4x2 and I never felt the loss of the front wheel option. Of course I didn't go looking for the deepest mud hole on the planet or the biggest vertical rock or hill either; I just took another line and it usually worked fine, so maybe you could just save the extra bucks & spend it on other options for your 4x2 such as a pipe, filter upgrade, etc.

Old 05-24-2000, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Since you are from Ontario I would definitely suggest 4X4. You can add a snow plow for winter use if need be and riding in the snow is a blast. For recreational riding I feel that 4X4 is more fun. If you want to go fast and be more sporty then maybe a 2 wheel drive sport machine may be more to your liking.
Just my 2 cents!
Remember have fun and play safe! Jeff

Old 05-24-2000, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

If you plan on using your machine in the winter, then go with a 4x4. You guys do get a lot of snow up there right?

About 50% off our club members including my wife ride 4x2's. They go everywhere we go. However we are not looking for the deepest mudhole or Mount Everest to climb, we are a family club with children riders. We ride fire roads, & trails that some "elves" built in the State Forrest lands.

My way of thinking is it is better to have the 4x4 and not need it than the other way around.