Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300ex rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 08:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300ex rev limiter

Im wanting to get as much power as i can out of my 300ex for as little money as possible. For the most part its stock. Ive put an fmf powercore pipe, k&n filter, rejetted and ive put a 400ex front end on it for more suspension. Ive heard something about removing the rev limiter. Is that an easy thing to do or do i need to buy something. Also putting on a 14 tooth sprocket, would that help? Another thing i was wondering is the pipe ive got it has the plates in it, i took the plates off but it seems to bust out when i rev it does that mean it needs rejetting? and does it give me more power by removing them or am i waisting my time doing that. The reason im asking is im wanting to race hair scramblers and i know im gonna get crushed on the straight aways. Any help will do thanks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

First of what plates are you talking about? The fmf powercore doesn't use discs or "plates".

Go to a 14 tooth front sprocket. To remove the rev limiter send your stock CDI out to have the limiter removed, its about $70 plus shipping.

Define what "Bust out" means in much more detail and maybe i can help you with proper jetting.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Im sorry its the megamax II i think thats right and by busting out i mean ill twist the trottle and its got lag then reves up. In other words it bogs then reves if that makes any sense. I use a Motion Pro twist throttle instead of a thumb throttle it doesnt give me arm pump. I hope that helps.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Ok first if you have removed all of the discs put them back on, that exhuast is tuneable using the discs. the bog you feel may be due to the fact that you removed all of the discs.

If you have not removed all of them and only removed some of them, you may want to start adding one at a time until you find the best setup.

if after all of this you still have that bog then you problem lies with jetting. In particular you are running too rich in the slow circuits.
It seems that the pilot may have to be changed and the needle may have to be leaned out.

Old 08-15-2003, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks semms40oz

any other small mods i can do that you know of? how about a cam?

Old 08-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

A mild cam, can be put in without having to upgrade the valves, springs, etc.
Another cheap mod is to take the air boot from a honda350x and put it on your 300ex, it allows for better air flow.

Oh and remove as much useless wieght as possible. (unused brackets, parking prake, headlight, taillight, etc.) I have removed a few pounds of metal off of the frame and swing arm, nothing structural just brackets.

the 300ex is a fairly light bike compared to the 400ex so the more weight you take off the quicker your gonna go.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks semms40oz youve been a big help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2003, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Dirtdog300ex, I read your thread. I can't help you with the rev limiter thing, But I was wondering what all you had to do and what all parts you used to put a 400ex front end on a 300ex. Does it work alot better or is it more hassle than what its worth.

Old 08-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

i'm not sure about ur pipe, but with the whitebros e-series pipe, taking out all the discs wont help u much, unless u want to make more noise. try taking them all off and then putting them on 1 at a time like semms40oz said.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

I used 400ex A arms, and the 400ex shocks. I am in process of designing another bracket for the top because the one ive got on there now i had to push the shocks down about a half inch with the shocks adjusted all the way down and it gave me a ton of ground clearence but doesnt seem to feel right and it wants to plow when i turn which i hate and thats what the stock 300ex front end felt like to me also thats why i changed it. When i first started i had 400ex A arms whith 300ex shocks which made my front end handle great and the tires would grab in a burm at any speed because the front end was wider then the back end. The downside to that is there was no ground clearence at all when i jumped the 300ex shocks would bottom out not a good feeling. So as of right now im designing another bracket a little taller so i can get the front end down a little to widen it out and ill have the best of both gripping and travel. I hope this makes since to you. If not maybe i can explain in better detail.

Quick Reply: 300ex rev limiter