Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Let's get this straight, no OEM has ever produced a true race quad.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Let's get this straight, no OEM has ever produced a true race quad.

I love how so many people throw around the term "race quad". No ATV company has ever produced a "race" quad. I challange anyone to name a quad that came with number plates from the factory. You can't because one has never been built. You can walk into any motorcycle dealer and buy a true race dirt bike. It's known as an MX bike. It's set up for racing on a closed course. That means no electric start, headlight, lighting coils, keyed ignition, kick stand, spark arrestor, brake light, engine counter balencer, comes with a small 2 gal tank, and number plates. That is what a machine that is built for racing looks like. It is stripped to the bone and not legal to ride in certain areas without modifications.

So where is a quad that is comparable to this? Why do the guys who actually race their quads have to strip all the crap off of them and make lots of mods just to get them ready to race?

Finally I'm am sick and tired of dimwits spouting off that the lack of reverse gear makes their quad a race quad. If that was true then wouldn't the Blaster be considered a "race" quad? In closing, if your quad came with electric start from the factory then it certainly is not a "race quad' you lazy, big bottomed, button pushing, wannabe racer.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rock rider i belive i agreed with u a few forums back but on this one imma have to bust your bubble back in 1992 atk mass produce a complete race ready machine "quad" it didnt have number plates cause in those days numbers where printed on your jersey as with a lot of riders today lol check out this photo of the race ready machine http://www.americandirtbike.com/ATKQuad2aa.gif and then tell me ya think ya know what u r talking about

Old 08-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, check that out! link I looks to be based off the old ATK 604, even has the single shock mounted on the side of the swingarm. One thing though, ATKs idea of mass production doesn't even register on the charts of the big four, but that looks to be a true race quad complete with rezzys. I was thinking back and in '85 a company called Franks made a three wheeler that was pretty much race ready. It was lighter than the '85 ATC 250R, had number plates and was stripped to the bone.

That is what I'm talking about, if somebody is going to say its a "race quad" i.e. 450R, YZF-450, then it should be ready to race right out the box, just slap some numbers on it and go. No quad made today can do that. That's not to say that peple don't change them into race quads. Even the Mojave can become a race quad. Lurch had a nice one. But right out of the showroom? Nope. Sorry, they arn't built for racing, they are for high performance and recreation. There is a whole lot more to the race quad equation then the lack of reverse gear. No MX bikes use electric start, its too heavy and an unnecessary feature for closed course competition. Dirt bike riders actually kick start their big four strokes, what a concept.

Old 08-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe you should go see a Cannondale Moto.. C-Dale has been bought and the new owners will be announced shortly. So now we don't have to hear about "out of business" and "no parts" which there has always been, so don't go there as it's worthless. Again a Moto had nerfs, steering dampner, adjustable shocks and axle, wider A arms, number plates, tether kill switch, beadlocks, mx gearing, 18" tires......

Old 08-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

There is no race ready quad, not even the almight YFZ, you will needs wider a-arms, axle and remove that electric starter. Oh and new shocks. I doubt we will never see a racer quad like you can see a dirt bike. Maybe in 5 years.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

bbertram did u not read my post???? because if ya did u wouldnt make this post.. maybe u need to lay off on sniffing the gas fumes in tha garage or something.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

The YFZ and the Can. Moto are probably the closest quads you can get right now to being a true "race quad". I think Cannondale tried alittle too hard (but i give credit to them) to make the moto a race quad, but the price was just WAY to high for the average unsponsored racer. Sure anyone can go race a sport quad right from stock, but theyll be at a disadvantage to the other sponsored racers. The problem a company would face when building a "true race quad" will always be the price. I dont know why they would want to build a quad like that, they know they would suffer from sales. YFZ did the right thing by making it as close and possible to a race quad and having it affordable enough.

Just because it shouldnt have "no electric start, headlight, lighting coils, keyed ignition, kick stand, spark arrestor, brake light, engine counter balencer, comes with a small 2 gal tank, and number plates" doesnt mean you cant go race it. Anyone can do just fine on a stock yfz or moto. In youre opinion they might not be race ready but in my opinion and many others they are.

Go to kandkatv.com and see how much those qauds are. Would you rather spend 20 grand on a race ready quad or 7 grand or whatever it is for the new yamaha. Its an easy choice for my broke self.

Old 08-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

dude....... you have a mojave, hahahaha ok -PEACE-[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2003, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

4real what the hell do you care?! u have a pos mojave! while ur there kicking ur pos others will just push a buttom and theyre off. And where do u get off calling people "wanna-b racers?" ur the WANNA B RIDER on ur little bike that thinks it can...

Old 08-18-2003, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

Roughrider,
That's what I am getting at, no one makes a quad that is race ready like a bike. I get sick of the morons labeling the YFZ-450 and 450R "race quads".

Crackhead,
Okay, I see the dimwits have discovered this thread. I didn't see a shortened swingarm on your mod list Crack. Enjoy spinning out?

Quick Reply: Let's get this straight, no OEM has ever produced a true race quad.