Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Let's get this straight, no OEM has ever produced a true race quad.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's get this straight, no OEM has ever produced a true race quad.

Dudes...

Ok, well, the CRs and YZs arent technically "race-ready" either..... you have to "mod" the number plates by putting actual numbers on them to race.... so HAAAA!!!

Now seriously... race-quad shouldnt be taken so literally and all you guys make it out to be like the manufacturers have to give you the best stuff right from the factory. I raced my stock raptor and didnt finish last in any of my races, so it cant be said that the quads that are labeled as "race" quads cant race. They might not win, but seriously, you have to start somewhere. Work gradually into stuff, the MAJORITY of buyers from atv manufacturers are either just looking for sumthin to trail ride with, OR they are just STARTING to race. As your skills get better, pump in the mods to your quad. If you want a YFZ450 quad DECKED out for racing from the factory, then be prepared to spend 15 grand+ like the 'dales. That just isnt going to happen though. Not enough of a market. So if you are REALLY serious into racing like some of us, and you want to buy a new quad, there is NO REASON for you to be expecting a quad you can be competitive with from the factory, if you want sumthin to run with the big boys, you have to dish out the cash for the custom quads, and that will always be a fact. And honestly, stock CRs and YZs and KTMs just dont cut it in our 125cc and 250cc classes around here, all the front runner's bikes are modded like crazy too. Its all about how far you want to go, thats the beauty of the thing, you have so many options. You start with a base quad and you get to spend as much and so as you wish to it. If the quads all came the same from the factory, and were competitive... wheres the fun in modding? Accesorizing and Modifying are one of the best parts of racing. Its like this, a lot of people refer to supras and civics and eclipses and mustangs and integras and skylines as street racing cars. But you think a stock eclipse gt or mustang cobra would be competitive in a drag race with the guys with turbo'd and blown civics on the bottle? I think NOT, but those cars stock are still thought of as street racing cars, because they have the POTENTIAL. Thats all quad manufacturers can promise, POTENTIAL.

So come on guys, stop worrying about when the manufacturers will give us sumthin we dont have to work on to get right, and start turning some wrenches...

Old 08-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SporkBomber,
I guess you took offense at dimwit?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] There is nothing wrong with this thread. I made it because I am ticked off that I stating that the 450R should come with reverse in another thread and got blasted that it was a "race quad". Bwahahahaha, couldn't be further from the truth.

Boogerbub explained it perfectly. He clarified what I was trying to get to. If a quads were produced like dirt bikes then there is a good chance that people would be unhappy with a quad that was so specialized.

I still stand by my statement that an OEM race quad doesn't exist. Therefore it shouldn't be such a incomprehensible idea that the 450R could come with reverse and still be competitive on the track, yet open itself up to a far broader market of trail and high performance recreational riders.

TRX440,
If you were to add a bunch of street and EPA legal equipment to a CRF or YZF it would change the nature of the bikes power delivery, become heavier, and certainly wouldn't be something you would want to race in that condition. You wouldn't even ride for long distances on the highway like a true DS bike becasue it would be uncomfortable, vibrate, and the engines would not hold together for the tens of thousands of miles DS riders expect to get out of their bikes.

Since you are so keen on the Moto 440 as being race ready, why isn't is lighter than a YFZ-450 considering it has an aluminum frame, and all the other race quality (light weight) accessories? Surely there was more that could have been done for the 5 digit price tag it came with. The Moto looked trick but it was still a Cannibal at heart no matter how much you widened, lengthened, hopped it up and added number plates. I will agree that it was closer than what any other OEM's had come up with but it was still not as race bred as an MX bike. Besides, you don't see Honda or Yamaha basing their CR's and YZ's off XR's and TT-R's. Make sense?

Old 08-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

The moto isn't race ready???? I'm just a complete idiot then.........and I thought a Banshee was the king of the dunes. That's it I'm getting into electric wheelchair racing.........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] LOL

Old 08-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

where r u getting race quads as their name ether man? havnt u noticed the companys call them sport quads. SPORT. which means for Fun

Old 08-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rockrider
I love how so many people throw around the term "race quad". No ATV company has ever produced a "race" quad. I challange anyone to name a quad that came with number plates from the factory. You can't because one has never been built. You can walk into any motorcycle dealer and buy a true race dirt bike. It's known as an MX bike. It's set up for racing on a closed course. That means no electric start, headlight, lighting coils, keyed ignition, kick stand, spark arrestor, brake light, engine counter balencer, comes with a small 2 gal tank, and number plates. That is what a machine that is built for racing looks like. It is stripped to the bone and not legal to ride in certain areas without modifications.

So where is a quad that is comparable to this? Why do the guys who actually race their quads have to strip all the crap off of them and make lots of mods just to get them ready to race?

Finally I'm am sick and tired of dimwits spouting off that the lack of reverse gear makes their quad a race quad. If that was true then wouldn't the Blaster be considered a "race" quad? In closing, if your quad came with electric start from the factory then it certainly is not a "race quad' you lazy, big bottomed, button pushing, wannabe racer.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Rockrider, you been on Mars or something for the past couple years?????????? Cannondale Moto = race quad!!! I love your definition of a race quad, "number plates from the factory" and it can't have electric start??????? Get into the 21st century dude!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think he was taking any offense of the dimwit. Most likely offended that you said,

Originally posted by: rockrider
In closing, if your quad came with electric start from the factory then it certainly is not a "race quad' you lazy, big bottomed, button pushing, wannabe racer.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Not to cool to say that.

But why does it matter what others think, and you think? Who cares what you ride as long as you ride, and stop trying to influence your definition of "Race Quad".

Old 08-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Just an observation,

Rockrider, look at your rating. I just noticed it now, and from what it looks like, not too many ppl like you. lol

One more thing, who are you to be ticked off at others for their opinion?

Old 08-18-2003, 11:45 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who wants to go riding?

Old 08-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh crap Sparky Z, my rating! Oh whatever will I do?