Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rubicon not shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubicon not shifting gears

will shift in electric shift in esp, but will not shift gears in d1 and d2. when in reverse acts like it has a revlimiter, when in d1 and d2 it wont shift and lights on speed odomiter start flashing. what's wrong?

Old 08-18-2003, 09:46 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you Rubicon owners are out there paying attention???? Every time I ask about Rubicon reliability, everybody denies that the bike ever has any problems. Trouble is, there is a post just like this one every couple of weeks!!

Seems to me that the transmission itself is mechanically and theoretically a sound one, but the electronic control fails more than occasionally. I never had any shifting problems WITH MY FOOT! When was the last time Honda released a good old foot shifter???? 5 years ago when the Rancher 350 came out???????? They have given us nothing but electronically controlled automatics ever since (Rubicon, Rincon, and now the Rancher AT). And, even the foot shifters get perverted with ESP! What happened to elegant simplicity??? Why can't Honda give us a manual transmission option on its bigger displacement bikes???

Old 08-18-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you non-Rubicon owners are out there paying attention. One post every couple of weeks is not a drop in the bucket compared to how many Rubicons there are out there. Honda Rancher's are the number one selling ATV, there are tons of them. Just due to the numbers, there should be more posts on them than all the others.

01 Rubicon, 3600 miles, 428 hours, ZERO problems. 02 Rancher 4X4 ES, 950 miles, ZERO problems.

If I had to own a foot shifted ATV, I wouldn't own an ATV. Honda knows that, I am part of the majority.

Honda addresses the masses, what sells, not what doesn't.

Old 08-18-2003, 11:26 PM
Range Rover

Bjones ,
do a search on this forum you will find your answer how to reset your trans,

ooops.. here is one, found it on TEXmudders we bsite: http://www.ansley.net/pic.php?image=...des/reboot.jpg
there is also info on how to read rubi code.
very nice web site, thanks texmudder !!!!

most people have problem with a part called angle sensor , some times just needs to be cleaned.

the rubi trans is awsome, works like a charm.

Reconranger,
have you ever rode a rubicon ?
well .....once you do you will want to give up using your foot for shifting.
that trans is the best automatic ever.
beats any belt driven CVT.
you got 2 sets of automatic configuratin D1 and D2 , plust you can go ESP for 5 speed manual.
the best thing is you can be at any speed, any angle, any turn, on any hill you will be in the perfect "gear " every time , and don't have to slow down and kick that shifter around , just gas it !!!!

it is also called "technological advancement" !!! get with it.
just like air cooled vs. liquid cooled, liquid cooled is more parts , more weight, could be more problem, but still much better

if you like shifting manually, than more power to ya........ shift away...... different people- diffrent likes.

I just LOVE the trans on that rubicon, I am sure other agree.

Old 08-19-2003, 12:19 AM
Red Rider

For you automatic lovers---- https://atvconnection.com/atvconnect...-The-Sport.cfm

The Rubicon is a bike I am trying real hard to like! But, you should not have to reboot a computer in the middle of nowhere just to get home! Honda just keeps giving us machines that are more and more complex!

Ridden the Rubi?? I don't think I could?? I don't think I could ever ride anything that weights 600 lbs. Even the Rancher is way to heavy!

Old 08-19-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Reconranger; Specta, no r. (Caught it before you edited it, thank you.)

I had read that article when it came out and didn’t agree with it then and I still don’t today. I actually took offense to it. I like the advancement forward in technology. Dummying Down the Sport, I think they can't handle or understand anything that isn't "gear" driven. I think they should have titled the article differently, Leaving ATV"S Alone for the Dummys". Reconranger, this is not addressed to you, it was how I took the article when it was first published.

Just my .0002 cents worth. My opinion is not worth what it used to be. I guess the next 4-wd vehicle I buy I will delete the PS, PB, PW, AC, Auto trans, full-time 4-wd, traction control, ABS, power door locks, 160 watt stereo, power sun roof, and so on.

I have a better idea; I will just buy a 1942 Jeep and install mechanical brakes so I don't have to depend on the high tech hydraulic braking system. (I have a friend that is just about ready to sell his 1942 all original, rust free Jeep.)

Sorry for the sarcasm.

I like the high tech; I am very impressed with the transmission in the Rubicon. I personally believe the trans in the Rubicon is years ahead in technology than anything any ATV manufacture offers. To me, it is also way ahead of the three-speed in the Rincon. I did not say better or want Rincon owners jumping in. It is just old technology. It has a limp in mode so if it does have a problem you can still ride it home. With the Rincon, you can loosen a lock nut and turn a screw and lock it in 2nd gear. The Rancher has a foot-shifter that will get you back if the ES quits working. That is better than a busted a broken belt. Honda's goal. Honda likes you riding your ATV home at the end of the day. They all break, some will get you home broken and some wont. To me, the inconvenience from a seldom experienced problem is out-weighed by the enjoyment of riding a "true" automatic trans equipped ATV.

I understand people wanting manual shift transmissions. However; everything I own, except my old 4-wd truck, is an auto (maybe a quarter-million miles of shifting has gotten to me), even our 5.0 Mustang is an automatic. If it had a 5-speed, I wouldn’t have bought it either. We are actually considering trading in the ES Rancher for a new AT. Rode one and was very impressed.

BJones, sorry for not answering your question and changing your post.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Range Rover

I rode a rubi all weekend and it was the first one sold where I live. It had the engine and tranny replaced just after it was bought but the dealer covered it because it was a first run quad and there were problems in the design. The new motor he has in it has over 4500km on it and right now it is 20Hours over its regular oil change and valve adjustment. It is abused by its owner and it keeps on running. My other buddy has a brand new one and it works great.

It took me about half an hour to really play with all the settings and get used to the mechanics of it. I fell in love with it when I started using esp mode. Throw it in Low and D1 and hit the mud wide open and it is a blast. They have the slickest transmission on the market and I challenge anyone to prove different. It is not even in the same field as a belt drive and anyone that says they are has never driven both. I would like to try the 3 speed just for a comparison. The only thing they did wrong on the rubicon was not including the 4X2 option....what were they thinking there?

Old 08-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Red Rider

You don't EVER see posts about MECHANICAL problems with the transmission. It is always ELECTRONIC glitches with the CONTROL COMPUTER. Why isn't this something that Honda can fix?? Honda has a reputation for bikes that are bulletproof. How is this bulletproof??

Lets not gloss it over for prospective buyers!! They come here for info without the BS that the dealership will feed them. I have a Z400, and some Z400's are having problems with cracking top front shock mounts. Mine has not. But when someone inquires about the Z, I right away tell them that some people have had this problem, and BUYER BEWARE. You Rubi owners should be honest and do the same!!

I don't want to come off like I have something against you Rubi owners. You make your choice good or bad, and then you have to ride it! But, I do have a problem with Honda for not giving us a manual trans on any big displacement bikes. These bikes have great motors. I just want a transmission to go with it.

The reason it has no 2wd/4wd selectable option is that would add extra weight, and Honda has sworn it will never go over 600 lbs!!! I don't know why Honda doesn't offer the TraxLok as an aftermarket option.

Old 08-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

OK, I will be honest. As stated in my first post; "01 Rubicon, 3600 miles, 428 hours, ZERO problems. 02 Rancher 4X4 ES, 950 miles, ZERO problems."

Old 08-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: reconranger
You don't EVER see posts about MECHANICAL problems with the transmission. It is always ELECTRONIC glitches with the CONTROL COMPUTER. option.
you just don't get it, don't ya........
this is the 21st century, electronics controls are here...... whether it is your ATV, car, or coffee maker.
electronics and computer controls are the way we are advancing ...
why you ask ??????
because people figured out that electronic controls are more precise than a mechanical or human operated machine.
that rubicon shift motor will shift faster and better than your "foot" ever will. if you want to "be in control " of your shifting than mechanical shift lever or ESP is the way.

and yes..... electronic components will break, but at the same time they it is getting improved not to break to frequently.

let see, is your hand watch mechanical and you need to whined it up every night by hand , or did you go with a digital or quartz watch ?
is you ATV a kick start (mechanical ) or electric start (electronic), see, you are improving.
mechanical or electronic?
look around you, everything is electronic !!!!
unless you prefer to live away from civilization, and don't want to advance that where we are heading,
wheter you want to tag along or stay behind is up to you

Quick Reply: rubicon not shifting gears