Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Worst Personal Injury to self or someone else seen on ATV

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst Personal Injury to self or someone else seen on ATV

In one accident .. I fractured my right wrist in 3 places broke my right collar bone which came within inches from puncturing the artery in my neck and dislocated my shoulder .. In another on feb 13th 2001 ( this was on a CR-250 i might add ) Landed about 8ft short of a 50ft Double .. while flying over the bars i managed to get my left knee caught up some how and ripped the tendon that covered my patella ( Knee Cap ) and folded my leg forwards .. " Brings a new meaning to being able to chew your toe nails " 2 Surgery's and 1 month of bed rest , 6 months of Crutches. Total of 11 months of missed work .. and im back in action..

about 3 years ago while i was riding out near a junk yard near my fathers property i seen some kids riding a blaster down into a valley that people also dumped trash into .. after about 45 minutes of the kids riding in and out of the valley one of them managed to collide with an old fridge and broke his neck .. DOA . ( Not the worst accident i have seen but the only one where someone died on an atv )

Old 08-23-2003, 02:36 AM
BSA
Pro Rider

Did anybody see the C-Span coverage on proposed regulations of ATVs? Serious injuries have tripled on ATVs on the last few years. Emergency room doctors were testifying that most serious injuries (except auto crashes) they see on children is from ATVs.

Old 08-23-2003, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

As a Firefighter/EMT, I have seen lots of ATV accidents. The one that sticks out like a sore thumb was one caused by stupidity. A female, approx. 25 years old, was riding her 3 year old son on her warrior on a dirt road. A dog ran out in front of them and they flipped end over end. The female ended up with a massive head injury. The infant was messed up. The impact of him hitting the sand broke his hip out of the socket the same way a chicken leg would be ripped. He had a 95% amputation. Lucky, his diaper tamponaded the injury and completely stopped the bleeding. The child was LifeFlighted to Shand's Children's hospital in FLorida and the mother was sent to Tallahassee. There was extreme surgery performed on him and post-op, he would not get any better. The doc's discovered they had reconnected a vein to and artery and artery to a vein in the haste to prepare him for the flight to Shand's. The few days after the vessels were corrected, the boy, whom the doc's said may not even live, was up and walking. Neither the parent nor the child remember the accident. End of story.

Old 08-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

i tore the ligament in my leg when i overshot this jump and my foot slid off the peg, wish i had my nerfs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

A friend of mine just changed oil in his z. Trying to take it out of the garage, making a U turn, he rev'd it high and was going to slowly release the clutch, but his finger slipped off because of the remaining oil on his finger. So he popped the clutch and the bike took off straight into his concrete wall, and broke his hip when he flew off the bike. And I think to myself, why didn't he just back it out?, but hes just one of these guys that hardly use it and just like u's better I guess.

Old 08-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

The one that sticks out in my mind goin over a 50 foot jump nad landed short, as i hit the handlebars turned and went in to my stomach as i barrel rolled, later i found out i had ruptured my sline and broke 2 ribs. (Nice scar though)

Old 08-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Personal worst- Ego when I slid/rolled my rancher into a mudhole that swallowed it whole. I bailed into nearly waist deep mud.
My brother rolled my grizzly at speed, he got gravel rash and a fat repair bill.

Old 08-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

I flipped over backwards on a hillclimb and the bike went airborne then the grab bar came straight down on my ankle and crushed it.

Old 08-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

i was going down a 80 degree angle hill and flipped my quad i was stupid and was going 45 down the hill and i flipped over my handle bars and had a my trailblazer on top of me until i kicked it off and it flipped again and land in a bush thank god it didn't roll down the hill! i could bearly walk after that but iam ok now i got a bent plactic in the back

Old 08-23-2003, 08:30 PM
p3o
Range Rover

I havent had any really bad ones myself but read this.....

Me and one of my freinds went riding. He was on his raptor and i was on my 300ex. We were going down some tight trail goign about 45. He was ahead of me about 3 miles into the ride he hit a bump and he had no foot guards on. his leg went uned the back wheel and drug him for about 40 feet.
I got up to him and pulled the quad of oh his leg. I looked at him and all he said is "i need help!" then he passed out, i looked down at his leg and his knee cap was hangin out of his leg.I think he tore it open off the peg. then i looked down more and his shin bone was sticking out of his leg, i started to panic cause i didnt know what to do. I go out his cell phone and called 911 and told them to meet me at a road near where we where, so i picked him up and put him on my lap and rode out to the road to wait for the ambulance. Then when they left i called his dad to come get his raptor. Two days later i went to the hosptial to see him and he was all stappled up with screws and a new plastic knee.
He told me he would never ride again. and sure enough he never touched that raptor since.

Keep your foot guards on kids, THEY ARE A GOOD SAFTEY FEATURE!

Quick Reply: Worst Personal Injury to self or someone else seen on ATV