Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tire alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2000, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have set mine to about 1/16" toe-out using the string method and it definitely makes a difference. It is easier to steer and more responsive , and is not unstable. I like it. Try it, it only takes a few minutes and if you don't like it you can set it back to original.

Have Fun!
Jeff

Old 06-04-2000, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well Fellas, have you given it a try yet?
Worked good for me.

Jeff

Old 06-05-2000, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

hey carlos_idontknow, try this
point the front wheels straight ahead and measure the centres,
between centres on the front wheels on a 250x the measurement on the front side of the tire should be 0-20mm (0.0-0.8 in.) shorter than the measured distance on the rear side of the tire (between centres)
well this is what my service manuals says

therefore they should be toe-in

good luck hope it helps

Old 06-05-2000, 04:02 PM
Range Rover

I set both the Foreman and the Rancher to 1/8" toe out. I took the Foreman on a trip this past weekend (about 100 miles) and I like the change. The Foreman is more responsive but not necessarily tippy. You do have to pay attention to the change in steering sensitivity.

I tried the Rancher just in the yard. The change in toe out makes this thing a beast!! It comes close to being able to pull power turns. My son and I will be going out this weekend for another trip and I will be better able to determine then if the change is acceptable. I suspect that it will be.

Temp
'00 Foreman ES
'00 Rancher ES

Old 06-05-2000, 06:26 PM
Range Rover

I have stock tires and rims on both a Rancher and Recon and the outside sidewall-to-sidewall dimension is still wider in back, so the string deal won't work. I used a straightedge held against the back sidewalls to measure the toe on the front wheels. It's awkward and takes a little fiddling but close enough for an atv I guess. You can also get an idea where you stand by measuring the distance at the mold line in the center of the front tires (at axle height), front and back of each tire as it sits on a level surface--if you can get a straight tape measure through the body of the quad for the back edge measurement.
My 4x2 Rancher was noticeably toed out, just didn't look right, but when I toed it in to factory specs it felt too "twitchy" at speed (as was predicted by a couple of you guys) so I opened it back up some and it steers better. Like they say, neutral or a little toe-out seems to work better, and the Honda manual says toe-out on 4x4s anyway.

Gooch

Old 06-05-2000, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

I thought that too Gooch. My Foreman 450ES seemed to be wider in the rear when I looked at it. I did do the string thing but set the gap at the rear of the front tires to about 1/2 inch on each side (By the way my measurement before adjusting was 3/4 of an inch). I figured this would leave a little toe out when you figure the difference with the front tires not being as wide as the rear. It worked good, no twitchiness, handles a little better. To do it right you would either have to figure out mathematically the amount using triginometry, the known widthes of the front and rear ends, and the distance from front axle to rear. Too much work for me, so I tried the 1/2 inch. The factory 3/4 is probably correct with the extra safety factor from Honda figured in.

Old 06-05-2000, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

If your Foreman 450es has stock rims and tires on it, the string method works well. As I mentioned in a previous post, mine is set up to 1/16" from the string. Once you rap the string around and stand at the front or back and look down the side along the string you will see if the front and rear are even. By the factory specs the wheel base front and rear are the same. The original setting on my 2000 450ES was 1/4" from the string and it was a little stiff. I have noticed a far difference since I made the adjustment.

Jeff