Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

anyone using the doug eichner 38mm carb on their 440 ex?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone using the doug eichner 38mm carb on their 440 ex?

my wife wants a bigger and better carb for her 440 ex and although the fcr is a good choice she wants a thumb throttle and the fcr does not have that choice.we are thinking about the doug eichner signature model 38mm carb and i would like to hear from anyone that has used or is using one on their 440ex.if you have used one how much of a power gain did you notice and how easy it it to re jet?thanks

Old 09-15-2003, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have found 39mm and 41mm fcr carbs with thumb throttle cables. Check sparks racing.

Did not get one yet.

Old 09-16-2003, 12:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

My motor guy said not to buy the eichner carb,"they fall apart,save up and get the fcr" so I'm saving my money.
I have also seen them with the thumb throttle.

Old 09-16-2003, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Is the wife lookin to smoke you dune lol Or are you looking for more fun?

Old 09-16-2003, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

joelrichard50-the eichner is a very good quality carb i just wanted some opinions on performance and the eichner costs almost the same as the fcr.WILDCHILD-i think the wifes 440 should be very fast with that carb but i will be getting some internal mods done to the raptor soon so i should be at least a little faster than her.i am going to bump my compression up to 12.5:1 and i am getting a cam and valve springs for the raptor and before next spring i will probably get some buffed tires so it should do very well.

Old 09-16-2003, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

Well my dad broke down and said I could start building my motor. Mac Racing said that they would get me a 686 kit with 12:1 piston, stage 2 cam springs and valve job (I think) for and bore it for 660 bucks. Im also going to buy sixsixt's air filter set-up soon. And I just got my swingarm extended 4 inches from Mac Racing. Im thinking about buffed tires also. We should be close when all said and done. Remember Im a little guy though lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
PS - what size chain you running and do you got a chain slider.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:33 AM
KGB
Pro Rider

duneittilludie,
I did a ton a research on this. After I was done I ended up with FCR 39 w/ a thumb throttle throgh Sparks Racing. I am not sure if any of the sprnsors on here hav ethem, but you should check with them first. There are two main reasons I chose this ove rthe Edelbrock, FCR40, and FCR41,
1: Availibility of parts, there so much you can do to an FCR. They have more parts available than anything, far more than the Edelbrock. You can replace andy part very easily. You mave something like 6 different needle tapers and bores to chose from, for example.
2: This might sound weird, but they are a little more tricky to get dialed in, from what I hear (the FCR), but this also allows you the oppertunity to get it tuned in better than the Edelbrock. You have to spend a half day once, but after that its golden. I hear the Edelbrock is easy to get set up, and easy to adjust (I can change everything in my FCR in 20 mins), but I like having a littel more control.

I will say the performance is amazing. Instead of theat feeling of it falling off in the upper RPM's, it just keeps on pulling, the throttle response is amazing, IT IS WORTH IT FOR SURE.
I went with the 39 because I wanted more bottom end power than top. But I hear the 40 is great too (the carb off the CRF450R).

Trending Topics

Old 09-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

WILDCHILD- if you are asking how many links i am running all i know is i paid for eight inches more of chain when i got my swingarm installed but as far as how many links total i am not sure.you should really be able to move with your light weight and the mods you listed either i am going to have to lose some weight or you need to start eating more pizza to gain some weight so i have a chance.SANDNECK- i was going to go with the fcr 39mm for the wifes 440 but after seeing the way it performed on my friends 440 i was not as impressed as i thought i would be.i am sure it is a very good carb and maybe his is just not dialed in yet but i was expecting more of a power gain than he got.i am not sure of the other settings on my friends fcr but i know he is running a 178 main,does that sound about right compared to what you use?

Old 09-17-2003, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Ok thanks. Ya Im hoping Im pretty fast when I get my motor done. Ill PM you when I know exactly when Im heading down to florence in October.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:16 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Dune,
I think that sounds about right for sea level. I run a 165 main. I am not sure about it, I have very little experience at any altitude besides mine. I hope I did not mislead you. I have heard great things about the Eichner carb. I was mostly tryng to point out that you can get a thumb on the FCR. It made a world a difference for mine. I would venture to say that your buddy has not got it dialed in yet. I run a 52 pilot, middle clip, 2 turns out on both screws, and a 165 main.
Good Luck , I am sure that what ever you chose you will love it.

Quick Reply: anyone using the doug eichner 38mm carb on their 440 ex?