Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r vs. YFZ... the real deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r vs. YFZ... the real deal

exactly my point, 300exrider, drag racing stock means nothing. Also its not going to be the power that determines which quad is better over the years, but moreso, its geometry. It doesnt take much to make a quad go faster, but to have a race ready frame is what will withstand the test of time(tecate 4 was faster than the 250r, but had worse frame geometry).

Old 09-16-2003, 01:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Atkins450 started with this thread where it should have finished off.
His comments were right on key and anyone wanting to argue these points have nothing to stand on.

Hey Atkins450 I thought I was the only one in the Attleboro area that owned a YFZ[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]..... Guess there popping up all over the place now. How long have you had it and what color is it?
Where you riding that thing? Boro? I go all over the place, Im surprized I havent bumped into you.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

I ride boro some sundays when there not working, how about simmies?, i live like right next to fullers damn.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

Like others have said, it's the rider more so than the machine 90% of the time. Just look to the dirtbike scene for that. Jeremy McGrath started out on a Honda and kicked everyone's butt. He moved to Suzuki, and I guess that other 10% kicked in because he did crap. He moved to Yamaha and kicked butt again. But somewhere along the line he lost his edge due to whatever reason.

Then comes along Ricky Carmichael who wipes the floor with everyone on a Kawasaki. He moves to Honda and does the same thing.

And if you want to go to the ATV side, just take Doug Eichner. Put this guy on ANYTHING and he'll come out on top.

If Yamaha doesn't sign at least one Pro rider, they're in for a world of hurt on the race track.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Atkins450
I ride boro some sundays when there not working, how about simmies?, i live like right next to fullers damn.

No kidding.... your only 5 minutes away from me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have not rode Boro since getting the YFZ. I rode there long ago on the shee.
Simmies? I know of simmons pond..... is that what your refering to? Can you ride there? I ride at Morse Sand and gravel sometimes, thats in Attleboro.
We mostly travel to ride during the weekends. Places just are not large enough around here to open it up so we goto NH and Maine often.
I ride with a large group of quads 13 total when we are all there but that hasnt happened yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2003, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

nice!, we got to get together some time!, btw im talking about simiones(agrigate)the pit in Wrentham along rt.1A and the powerlines that come from boro., right next to Wrentham Outlets. btw, do you have a friend with another 'shee thats blue and you both have paddle tires? If so, ive seen you climbing 'mt. everest' at boro many times.

Old 09-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

drag racing is a big part of mxing. who ever gets the hole shot has a huge advantage over every other rider. also, the yamaha yzf450 was no the first racing four wheeler to ride off the show room floor and be competitive in mx. cannondale was the first and probably the last serious motox from the factories. i mean no extra work period and in stock form. but atkins is correct, drop another $4000 in suspension mods and the yamaha and honda will both be excellent motoxers. i hope the other big factories pick up pro riders also, that would help get more tv coverage for the sport and really bring atv racing up to a new level.

Old 09-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

tv is where our sport goes next. Once we start getting the mx races on sundays on tv with the dirtbikes. Then people will start to see our sport. ATVs should also be considered a freestyle sport at the x-games, and on extreme sport shows. I think if everyone that sees this post calls 5-4-3-2-1 and tells them they want to see quads, maybe they'll listen.

Old 09-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

You guys arent getting it though, people were already racing crf engines in 400ex frames. So whats new? nothing. Any extra wins they get will have nothing to do with the quad as nothing on it is new cept the plastic.

Old 09-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

Jakal,

You are the one not getting it. Yes guys have been putting the honda 450r motor in 400ex frames and racing them, the 426 yamaha before that. But only the hard core racers could afford this type of machine. Hell, East Coast Atv will put any motor you want into any frame you want for a price. $18,000 was how much they wanted for a 450r motor conversion, in a race ready frame with suspension. Not excactly what I call weekend warrioir material. Now we have two bikes that are pretty damm close to race ready for under 7 grand!!!! That is what is new!! Yes the technology has been around but it has not been available to normal folks like me. Imagine the growth our sport could see because we finally have access to machines that will give more people a chance to affordably get into racing with a highly competive bike.

It is in this type of culture that we will truely see atv bikes make big strides in technology. Win on sunday sell on monday has driven the manufactures to improve there motorcycles every year. And until more people start racing atvs we will be stuck with the same old stuff, year after year. These two bikes are only the first step in right direction.

Quick Reply: 450r vs. YFZ... the real deal