Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why bashing the 450r?????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why bashing the 450r?????????

To all that are bitching about honda letting you down. What do you wish honda had made different on the 450r?

Old 09-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

For me, electric start but it is okay. Honda just made another model that doesn't quite fit my needs. I still like it and if I were racing mx then I would want one. As it stands, the 400ex is still more suited to my needs. Even better is that it is cheaper now that the 450r came out. No real complaints here. I am sleeping just fine.

Old 09-15-2003, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aluminum frame, higher compression, little lighter. Other than that I love it and fully expect to own one next season

Old 09-15-2003, 05:58 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

i am completely satisfied compared to other quads in the same intended market. I'd love to see an alluminum frame and EFI, but the cost and practicality for mass producing that just doesn't seem practical right now in the ATV market. We all know it's coming and that is the important part.

Old 09-15-2003, 06:00 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fast440
aluminum frame, higher compression, little lighter. Other than that I love it and fully expect to own one next season
i like the compression ratio it has now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

how would you guys fix an alumium frame when it cracks?
i doubt most people have the means to weld aluminum
all i have is a MIG and i am glad they stayed with steel!

Old 09-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

If the Aluminum frame is built correctly it won't crack unless crashed hard. If they made it out of several different sections then you could just replace that piece. Welded frames scare me!

Old 09-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Too many people with WAY too high expectations...

Aluminum frame - why?

It won't improve weight, the aluminum frame would have to be constructed heavier and likely still wouldn't hold up over the long term as well as steel. Not to mention the ease of fixing and/or strengthening a steel frame as opposed to aluminum.

EFI would bring nothing but complexity, weight, and more points of failure to the quad. EFI requires a fuel pump, high pressure lines, a Map sensor, an ECU, a throttle body, fuel injectors, idle air control motor, fuel pressure regulator, etc in order to operate. EFI also makes the modification process more difficult. If you modify much, you have to replace expensive fuel injectors with higher flow units -- modify too much and you have to replace the fuel pump.

EFI does not produce more power than a carb.

Weight & kickstart -- we'll have to wait for this. I know, the YFZ and Honda both state 350lbs... Lets not forget that manufacturers have a tendency to have optimistic scales to varying degrees.

I haven't weighed a YFZ myself, but the one person I've heard from that has had one on the scales says 385lbs dry. I have a hard time believing that the TRX won't weigh less in the real world.

Old 09-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

I just think its butt ugly!!! I think Honda could have done better on the looks..

I like the piggys on the YFZ, I like the headlights on the YFZ, I like the Electric Starter on the YFZ..

Dont get me worng, I am not a Yami addic. I was really hopeing honda would out do them.. I would buy a YFZ just on those above issues.. Keep in mind I am not a GNCC racer or crap like that, I am a weekend warrior like 95% of people.

Old 09-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

I'm really let down..........what would I want? Something on par with state of the art technology on their dirt bikes and street bikes...........

Look at the prices we're paying.......now go compare what that buys you elsewhere in dirt bikes or street bikes.

Why can't they offer long travel suspension with 15-17" of travel.........maybe 4 wheel independant suspension. Something more high tech and next generation instead of a rebadged new plastic big bore 400ex........heck, even the head is still a 4 valve. Now if they would of announced a 650ex, with gull wing long travel a-arms, dual rate shocks, and braided steel brake lines from the factory............THEN I'd be impressed.......

Yawn.........not impressed at all just by the specs, we'll have to see how they do first hand and in person.

Quick Reply: Why bashing the 450r?????????