Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

jetting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jetting problem

well i rejetted today(got the k&n jetting kit) so i changed te needles, and put a 118 main jet in.... and did everything it said to for the stage one... but 1st gear full throttle and the rest just chug really realy bad and when i let off it dies... there is one problem though i opened up the top of the carb(where the needle is and unscrewed the swing arm(i think thats what its called), and the pltae on the bottom that holds the needle and when i tried screwing hte swingarm back, the screw didnt match up to it and i ddint change anything... know what that could be caused by and know if that is killing my enginge?

Old 09-19-2003, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default jetting problem

any help here

Old 09-19-2003, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default jetting problem

there is one problem though i opened up the top of the carb(where the needle is and unscrewed the swing arm(i think thats what its called), and the pltae on the bottom that holds the needle and when i tried screwing hte swingarm back, the screw didnt match up to it and i ddint change anything... know what that could be caused by and know if that is killing my enginge?
What exactly happened when you reassembled the arm that connects to the slide/needle jet? is it back together correctly?

Assumeing that its ok it all just sounds like your running rich. Try running the engine at different THROTTLE openings and let it accelerate and make note of what it does. Most important for now are 1/2 throttle and full throttle so you can figure if the needle and main jets need to be changed etc. Really just sounds like the settings are allowing too much fuel into the engine.

Sometimes the "kits" are like a one size fits all and you need the exact size your engine wants to run right. Also be sure there isnt any dirt anyware in the carb and that the air filter is clean.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default jetting problem

i assembled the arm back toghter fine, just the screw and the arm dont line up anymore..... i tried opening up the throttle at differnt rates, and its all the same(same speed) in every gear, and in like 2nd and 3rd it just chugs, something wrong with the needle? should i lower the e clip on the needle one? or raise it one?

Old 09-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default jetting problem

You can deff try lowering the needle. The needle that comes with the kit has a different taper than stk so lower it 1 notch (raise the clip) and see what happens. Plus when your at it you can try to figure what is going on with the screw that doesnt line up.

Old 09-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default jetting problem

im not sure but i think the 118 main jet is to small......

i know that stock is a 122 main jet........it was in mine..

after putting my pipe and filter on, i put a 133 main jet in,and no needle changes.....
and it has always ran just fine........

Old 09-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default jetting problem

ok, highest jet that came w/ my kit was a 128, so ill put that in and raise the clip on the needle to a 3 groove instead of a 4... tell you all how it works out(btw not sure what the deal is with the swing arm, ill try to look into it a little

thanks for the help

Old 09-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default jetting problem

hey, i got that problem solves(it was the swing arm)... the screw was out so i tapped the throttle and noticed it wasnt lifting so thats fixed... but i got one more problem now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] whenever i give it gas it chugs(running lean) i put the jetting up to a 124, 126 or 128(cant remember) but thats the biggest jetting it had, and the e clip is #3 in the needle grooves, shoudl i lower it to 4 or put it up to 2? this is happening around 3/4 throttleish so im guessing its the main jet... 128 is the biggest jet it came w/ so should i lower it... the kit said go to a 118..... if i piped and filtered it(i did)

Old 09-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default jetting problem

did you check to see what the stock main jet was?????

Old 09-19-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default jetting problem

stock main jet was 122

Quick Reply: jetting problem