Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

should i buy a trx400 ex or a kawasawki 400?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 02:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy a trx400 ex or a kawasawki 400?

I only read the 1st few replies, so forgive me if I'm repeating something, but did you miss the "13" part? This kid should be starting smaller. Even if the 400ex is old technology (and it is!), it's still on racetracks. Is that a quad for the average 13 year old?

Old 10-12-2003, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondabest0nearth
yeah, i agree with the person that said warriors are good trail machines, i like how much ground travel it has in the back, like how it hits anything 2 inches tall, i also like how it gives the feeling of riding a stone with wheels. I owned a warrior, and i hated it. I had it for 2 weeks, half spent parked, then i sold it.

and for the stupid kid who wants a 400, get a 90 because if you even get 250ex the arm pulling power will toss you over backwards.
Where the heck did that come from? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img].

Old 10-13-2003, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

i was bugging my friend, the person who started this post, plus i hate warriors.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CrAcKhEaD
''either go with the z400 or kfx400 they are so much faster ''

-2-3mph is that much faster???

This is the same item that comes up in 400EX Vs. Warrior discussions, with the Warrior being the "Oh so slow" 4 wheeler. Stock for stock it's only 2-3 mph slower than the EX, so what's the diff in saying the EX is slow compared to the KFX/Z ??. I guess the bottom line is that if speed matters to ya .. get the KFX/Z (or wait for the DVX) cuz 2-3mph faster is still faster right?

I think personally, the only two reasons I'd get a KFX/Z over a 400EX are: 1) Reverse, 2)Liq. cooled. Of the two, reverse is more important to me. I do like the styling of the new DVX though ...

Old 10-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

right but thats the only place a warrior can hang with a 400(straight line), on trails the ex will tear it up.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Just have a Curtis Sparks 465 kit in an EX, and watch the Kawasuki lovers blubber like little babies.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RideRed913
Just have a Curtis Sparks 465 kit in an EX, and watch the Kawasuki lovers blubber like little babies.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Until the person with the Kawasaki gets a similar kit and is faster again...

Old 10-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah and also spend twice the money! That would make me blubber like a baby.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MDE3
What I am saying is that I bought the used 250X/350X - which already had some work done - for $2300. Then I spent another $4000 on it, totalling around $6300.......(including the price of the used quad) To start with a new stock Z 400 and get to the same performance levels I stilll say you would have to spend at least an additional $4000. The actual amount spent on this 250X in aftermarket work was at least $6500 total, about $2500 of which was done before I got it.

I am not sure spending $4000 on a z would qualify it to "kill" that 250/350X conversion, probably bring it about equal. That quad was raced against heavily modded 440 ex's, 250r's 426's etc., and was in the front half of the pack in both mx and flat track, with a very inexperienced rider. Head to head with a "stock Z" that 250X/350X was faster in a straight line(at least in acceleration to "useable" top speed for mx), and much faster on a track.

If I would have puchased the Z new, and spent the same amount on it as had been spent totally by me and others on this 250X/350X conversion since it was started, the total cost of the mods would probably exceed $6500, and that would make a pretty nice machine, which would then have the cost of the z in the $12,000 range.., and that should definitely be a much better all around machine by a significant margin.

My point was that you can look around and buy a modded 400ex or similar machine, with much of the same work done, and save quite a bit of money. Once properly modded all of these machines will be a joy to drive and play with. Within a year or two the same thing will probably be true about the 400z or it's clones. But for now you will have more choices at better prices with a 400 ex. Notice I am NOT recommending you start with a 250X or 300 ex and follow in my footsteps.

Machines with serious suspension work done are much safer and more comfortable to ride, and if it is "the good stuff" ie properly set up high end shocks on decent a-arms and swing arm, one of these units will give you more bang for your buck than any stock machine can hope to.........whether you ride trail, or race mx or xc. Until you ride one that has been properly done it's hard to appreciate how big a difference there really is.

Sorry if the first post was confusing.
Great post and especially the last two paragraphs that were on the money.

Only thing is I think you have more $$$ into that 250X than I have in the 440 with full aftermarket suspension and a couple little motor mods [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] , and thanks for making me feel better about the $$$ I have into my machine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

I have found that since I do most all of the engine and suspension work etc myself I do save a ton of $$ but I do understand not everyone is able to do this. It just boggles my mind at the literaly thousands of dollars some of the buiders want for basic work on these engines. Before any says it yes I am ignoring the countless hours spent on this as well but if you enjoy it its not really work at all if you know what I mean.

Old 10-15-2003, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 01TRX300EX
Originally posted by: RideRed913
Until the person with the Kawasaki gets a similar kit and is faster again...
I have heard this before and just cant understand why everyone thinks either would be faster with the same mods.

We all get into these power debates so intenesly that we sometimes forget that the differences we are talking about would be neglated by a simple error in jetting. Trust me on this as I have been on both ends of the jetting being off problem. I have a bud with a piped and mildly modded raprtor that runs way to fat in the summer and scary lean in the winter (both robbing power) but screams in the spring and fall LMAO he just doesnt get it. I thouhgt he started to understand what it was all about after nearly seizing the thing twice during snow storms last winter but I guess not as he still is running the same jetting.

Did that make sense? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: should i buy a trx400 ex or a kawasawki 400?